Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Toddler beating up pregnant belly...

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have an almost 2 year old who accidentally kicks and pushes my belly all throughout the day(I'm 26 weeks pregnant). I do whatever I can to avoid it, but it still happens occasionally. About an hour ago he pushed on my belly to get down from the couch, and now I'm cramping a bit. I have been cramping on and off for a month and everything still seems fine though, and my midwife knows about it & doesn't seem concerned. This time it happened right after my son pushed on me though so I'm a little worried. I'm also worried in general about him kicking my stomach all the time. If anyone has had similar experiences I'd appreciate some input or advice! :)

by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauriemom
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I would try not to worry too much. Call the doctor if you notice anything weird tho. Babies are very protectd in there.  You want to be careful,  but I am sure your body can keep that baby safe from his big brother :0)

HUGS
Laurie

CoastieWifePR
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM

My son was 3 when I was pregnant, plus he has SPD so he does not know when he's being too rough.  He did pushed me around and tried to punch and kick me around, and I had to be firm with him, time outs, taken toys away from him and at some point he got a pop in the bottom after MANY warnings and the above mentioned punishments.  Now the problem is trying to keep him from horse-playing with the baby which is the biggest headache I have day after day after day...

Jonathan101909
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM

If the cramping worsens, you should just give your midwife a call to be sure they're not concerned with the new information. They're not going to be annoyed, even if you have to call the doctor on call at 4am. They're used to it! Better safe then sorry :)

Mommy2_two
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM

When I was pregnant with my 2nd I worked at a daycare and when I was working the in 2 year old room we had a girl who was throwing a bit of a fit (Her dad worked there and the teacher went to go get him) I stooped down next to her to explain why she had to sit at the table to eat her lunch and she kicked me square in the belly. It knocked me on my butt. I called my DR from work and he said if I had any bleeding or severe pain to go to the ER. But he explained that the baby is pretty well protected in the sac so the kick just probably bounced her around a bit.

LilleStarr
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Call the doc if it will make you feel better but everything is prob fine. You can see the baby moving in my tummy now so I thought it would be cool to show my 4 year old. He decided to karate chop me in the stomach. When I asked him why he did it he just said he wanted the baby to stop. I was like....OK. My doctor said he would have to hit me pretty hard to cause any damage.

McKs0820
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I'm really sure the baby is fine, women fall sometimes right on their bellies and their babies are fine. They are in a protective cacoon of amniotic fluid.

SamMichelle88
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I worked in a daycare until 8 hours before DD was born with 15 two years old everyday. My belly got its fair share of kicks, jabs, jumps, and whatever else you can think of. DD was perfectly fine when she was born! I had some "cramping" especially after the kids pushed on it. My belly would basically feel like a bad bruise. It didn't help that my DD was literally bruising me too! Just keep voicing your concerns to the midwives & they will continue to watch for anything that may go wrong. If it REALLY starts hurting bad, definitely call them & tell them whats up, but I think you should be fine!

rchl882
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Oh wow that must have been a little scary! That's amazing how the human body works! Glad everything was OK. When I was pregnant with my son I was sooooo careful, so it makes me a little nervous now to be doing the things I'm doing like picking my son up and having him jump up and down in my arms & kick me!

Quoting Mommy2_two:

When I was pregnant with my 2nd I worked at a daycare and when I was working the in 2 year old room we had a girl who was throwing a bit of a fit (Her dad worked there and the teacher went to go get him) I stooped down next to her to explain why she had to sit at the table to eat her lunch and she kicked me square in the belly. It knocked me on my butt. I called my DR from work and he said if I had any bleeding or severe pain to go to the ER. But he explained that the baby is pretty well protected in the sac so the kick just probably bounced her around a bit.

SamMichelle88
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Also, it doesn't sound like your son is trying to hurt you or your baby, so just try to explain that he has a little brother or sister in there and that he has to be gentle with your belly. He won't always know when he's hurting you, but it should help. I know it's hard but try not to get mad unless you think he's really trying to hurt the baby.

rchl882
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Oh no, I don't get mad at him at all. He never does anything rough on purpose, in fact he usually kisses my belly and is very sweet. When it does happen it's just accidents, so it doesn't upset me, just worries me a little.

Quoting SamMichelle88:

Also, it doesn't sound like your son is trying to hurt you or your baby, so just try to explain that he has a little brother or sister in there and that he has to be gentle with your belly. He won't always know when he's hurting you, but it should help. I know it's hard but try not to get mad unless you think he's really trying to hurt the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)