Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Broke Toe? (a bowling ball fell on my daughter's toe)

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM
  • 10 Replies

The toe is swollen, red, black under the nail, and keeps bleeding from between the nail and skin. Could it be broken? We don't have any insurance or money to go to the hospital. I don't want to go if not necessary, but when is it necessary? I have been told they don't do anything for a broken toe anyway but buddy wrap it and not even to do that if it hurts.

by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl728
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM

You don't go to the hospital for a broken toe anyway. theres nothing you can do. Splint it and wait for it to heal. Good luck, those suck!

KristaP13
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Dr's don't do anything for a broken toe :( sorry!! You just have to deal with the pain for a few weeks... Ice it and good luck!

4armycuties
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM

They wouldn't do anything for it anyway. Some places don't even buddy wrap it. I've broken a couple of toes and never had them taped. Hope you heal fast!

cardington
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM

It's my daughter toe. I fixed the title. She can't put any pressure on it without it hurting, so we borrowed some crutches for school tomorrow.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM

A bowling ball? OUCH! That hurts just thinking about it. But like others have said, they won't do anything for it. Crutches was a good idea though.

two4one
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I'm concerned with it being more than just broken. I hope the bones aren't crushed.  Plus, she may need to have the nail drained or even removed since it is black and bleeding. I'd take her into the ER just in case.

Luveasy
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Quoting two4one:

I'm concerned with it being more than just broken. I hope the bones aren't crushed.  Plus, she may need to have the nail drained or even removed since it is black and bleeding. I'd take her into the ER just in case.

I agree, especially with it bleeding like it is. Atleast call a PODIATRIST and explain to them what happened and what is going on with her toe. they can further tell you more information about it and what you need to do. Let us know what happens good luck!!

MommaJen98
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Do you have a Children's hospital anywhere close??  I know the one we have will take children and treat them regardless of ability to pay . . .I agree with the others about the toenail issue . . .the broke toe doesn't concern me, but the toenail does . . .there may be more going on than just a broke toe . . .GOOD LUCK!

JADIEBUG
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I agree.

Quoting two4one:

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Keep the bleeding area clean and sanitary, use antibacterial soap and neosporin, and as much as possible, open to air....shoes are the filthiest things to put an injured foot into.

Ice for the pain and swelling.

They really don't do much with broken toes-if the pain is unbearable, it might need to be looked at, because breaks are all different and a simple broken toe is much different than a toe that is fractured in 3 spots, or bone that is disintegrated. That would require surgery---but a simple break generally requires no treatment, because there is little that can be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)