Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does thyme taste like dirt to anyone else?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM
  • 4 Replies

I made a beef stew last night that was pretty good, but it had this really earthy, almost dirt taste to me, and I know it was the thyme that did that.  Is it supposed to taste like that?  I don't use it often but when I do, I notice that taste.  Am I just weird?  Or do other people feel like it kind of tastes like dirt as well?  I know some people who think cilantro tastes like soap, which I don't, so I can see where different people would have different opinions about this.  I just want to know that I'm not crazy.

by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Dried thyme tastes very earthy to me, fresh thyme is much better, still earthy but just a better flavor. It is also a very strong spice so you have to be careful how much you use. It can easily overpower a whole dish.

armywifey0615
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I love Thyme!! My hubby is Jamaican and uses it in almost everything that he cooks!! It might just be your tastebuds!!

deltacogirl
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Ok, thanks.  Its very likely that I was using too much, since I don't follow recipes or measure anything.

Appleseeds
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM
It absolutely tastes like dirt to me- so much so that I'm now afraid to use it in recipes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN