Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

does predisone make you so hungry that you feel like you cannot ever get full?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:27 AM
  • 25 Replies

LOL.

Seriously i have been eating all night and i cannot get rid of the "OMG You are starving, fat ass!" feeling.

I was called in a prescription for predisone today for a persistant rash and neck swelling. It is 20mg. I have to take 3 pills for 3 days, 2 pills for 3 days and 1 pill for 3 days.

I took it around 5 and i am so fucking hungry now. WTH? lol

The insert said it..but i didn't believe it. I usually have none of those side effects listed on medicines. BUT OMG i am so going ot gain a ton of weight at this point.

by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluvmypreemies
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:34 AM

For some people it does. I have been on it since 2004, I am on only a few mg now but I used to be on everything all the way up until 60mg. I take it for my Lupus. What I did was take it at night (even though you aren't supposed to cause it can give you insomnia which I already had) with my sleeping pill. And since it is a short term drug (it doesn't stay in your system long) I wouldn't worry about it. I also for a while was on Wellbutrin XL to counteract that. Since Wellbutrin is also used as an appetite suppressant.

come home               

alexhuntercody
by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Quoting iluvmypreemies:

For some people it does. I have been on it since 2004, I am on only a few mg now but I used to be on everything all the way up until 60mg. I take it for my Lupus. What I did was take it at night (even though you aren't supposed to cause it can give you insomnia which I already had) with my sleeping pill. And since it is a short term drug (it doesn't stay in your system long) I wouldn't worry about it. I also for a while was on Wellbutrin XL to counteract that. Since Wellbutrin is also used as an appetite suppressant.

I think i may start taking it at night..cause this is just ridiculous. lol I have had 4 bowls of cereal and i'm still starving!

zoo003
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I hate taking prednisone.  I occasionally have had to take it for asthma and it not only makes me really hungry-but CRANKY!!  My dh always kids with me that if the dr ever gives it to me, I should immediately start wearing a "Warning-talk to at your own risk" sign around my neck.  I usually don't have side effects from meds either-but this one always does it for me.  Good luck!

monkeysmom21006
by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Yes. I'm severely asthmatic and have been on prednisone more than a few times. It's a steroid, so it makes you REALLY hungry. I always gain at least 5 lbs when I have to be put on it.

iluvmypreemies
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Quoting alexhuntercody:

Quoting iluvmypreemies:

I think i may start taking it at night..cause this is just ridiculous. lol I have had 4 bowls of cereal and i'm still starving!

You may not be able to sleep like I said I only did it cause I was already taking something for insomnia. It can make your mind race. Anything higher than 10mg and you will be hungry, awake and irritable after a couple doses.

come home               

alexhuntercody
by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:47 AM

i just hope it makes the rash and neck issue go away. If it does than the hunger will be worht it.  Because i would give anything for it too. They said i should see changes in both after the first dose but i don't. I hope it starts working soon.

JMVITT
by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:49 AM

I drank lots of water to curve the hunger.  My husband also said it made me a cranky B***H.  Beware of the crankiness.  I was prescribed the same as you for hives. 

mommywife06
by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:51 AM

My son is on it and I have noticed he is wanting to eat more and sleep more. I know he is only 2 months old but he has been wanting to eat almost 10-12 ounces at time and he was just eating 6 ounces.

JMVITT
by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:53 AM

It will be better by morning.  I just stated I took it for a severe case of hives and by the next day they were gone.  Let me paint you a little picture.....the hives were so bad my husband wouldn't go with me to urgent care because it looked like someone beat the shit outta me.  My whole face was swollen but worse around my eyes, along with red bumps, lol.  My mom almost didn't go with me!  Not to mention I walked in on Halloween.  Oh the memories......  Hope you feel better as quickly as I did!

Quoting alexhuntercody:

i just hope it makes the rash and neck issue go away. If it does than the hunger will be worht it.  Because i would give anything for it too. They said i should see changes in both after the first dose but i don't. I hope it starts working soon.

romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 22, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Dear God, they called that in for you without knowing what the "rash" is? Wow.

Yes, it makes you hungry as hell, and thirsty. Don't be surprised if you don't get any sleep either....that's a common side effect.

You need to have that "rash" looked at. Has it changed? Do you have a current pic?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN