Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sleeping with the door open? *Added Questions*

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM
  • 111 Replies

How old were your kids before you let them sleep with bedroom doors open. Our first night in the new apartment (3-4 days ago) my DH had to run to our old apartment to get a load, and was running behind bedtime, I decided to go ahead and lay DS down for bed without his nightlight, it was wayyy to dark. So I just left the doors cracked (DS & DD's they both didnt like the pitch black, and I couldnt blame them) and I sat on our bed until DS was asleep and shut his door, along with DD's. Tonight DS asked me if I could leave his door open, he has his nightlight, so I told him not tonight. And he was fine with that. Now let me say my DS is almost 3, but has never ever gotten out of his toddler bed without first calling me through the baby monitor to ask. It's just what's he has done since the first day in his toddler bed. We normally have locked baby gates, but as I said we just moved in and havent had the time to install them yet, with DH working and us trying to move, tomorrow we are putting them up. And my DS doesnt open doors either unless I'm in the bathroom then he magically knows how. Lol

For those who's kiddos doors are open.

Do you use a baby monitor?

Do you have pets?

Is your home 1 or 2 stories?

How could/would these change your decision?

How old are your children?

baby growth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristaP13
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM

dd is almost 3 and we just starting doing it this week.

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM

my son always sleeps with his door shut tight.

We use to but since having dogs we often leave it open

Wrtngfantasymom
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

My girls don't have doors on their rooms (We live in an OLD trailer), they have doorways, but even then, I wouldn't shut their doors at all.

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I'm confused. My son's door has always been left open unless he shuts it.

stuckinamess
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Do you mean open without a gate? Or just open? My kids have always had their door left open.

Harmonyzmomma
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

well my dd is 2 months but when I was growing up I don't ever remeber the door being shut and I know my SIL doesn't shut her dd's (2 yrs old) door

iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

i think it depends on the kids.....

luvbeinamommy68
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

i have always kept their door open at night. just like mine. i dont know why but it makes me uneasy to have either my or my kids door closed at night. we keep a gate up at their doorway so in case they wake up in the middle of the night they cant run around the house.

Mommy2LnJ
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM

My sons usually go to sleep with their night light on and the door cracked just a bit. They will be 3 in May. When I go in to bed though, I close the door, but we share a room so I also have a door knob safety cover so they can't wake up and leave the room

I'm a strong, pro-choice, spanking when needed, put off today what can be done tomorrow, make a fool of myself to make my kids laugh, country music lovin', tattoo addicted, Brett Favre loving SAHM of 2 1/2yr old twin boys. *The tattoo is the mark of the soul. It can act as a window through which we can see inside, or it can be a shield to protect us from those who cannot see past the surface*

stefvan
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I never shut their doors.  I don't sleep with mine shut and they were in our room forever, anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)