Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sleeping with the door open? *Added Questions*

Posted by   + Show Post

How old were your kids before you let them sleep with bedroom doors open. Our first night in the new apartment (3-4 days ago) my DH had to run to our old apartment to get a load, and was running behind bedtime, I decided to go ahead and lay DS down for bed without his nightlight, it was wayyy to dark. So I just left the doors cracked (DS & DD's they both didnt like the pitch black, and I couldnt blame them) and I sat on our bed until DS was asleep and shut his door, along with DD's. Tonight DS asked me if I could leave his door open, he has his nightlight, so I told him not tonight. And he was fine with that. Now let me say my DS is almost 3, but has never ever gotten out of his toddler bed without first calling me through the baby monitor to ask. It's just what's he has done since the first day in his toddler bed. We normally have locked baby gates, but as I said we just moved in and havent had the time to install them yet, with DH working and us trying to move, tomorrow we are putting them up. And my DS doesnt open doors either unless I'm in the bathroom then he magically knows how. Lol

For those who's kiddos doors are open.

Do you use a baby monitor?

Do you have pets?

Is your home 1 or 2 stories?

How could/would these change your decision?

How old are your children?

baby growth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
momma_bear1
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM

We never sleep with doors closed. I hate having my door closed when I sleep...freaks me out!

Julielle
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

My kids have never slept with the door closed.

vatofamily
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Okay, I'm a weirdo because I've always let them sleep w/ the door open.  What info am I missing here? 

squiggs2002
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM

my daughter sleeps with her door cracked. If not the cats scratch up the floor trying to get into her room. Also we have a baby gate at the top of the steps she can't open and it doesn't move. (have it anchored into the wall)

Baylee131

When I first lay my dd down I will close the door only because she will NEVER go to sleep otherwise, she does have her closet light left on in her room with one of her closet doors shut and the other one is halfway shut. After she goes to sleep I will open her door all the way,  almost everynight she gets up in the middle of the night and will come in our bed anyways. 

Christinamm

DD has always slept with her door open. 

LadybugsMonkeys
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM

My kids never have their doors shut. No gates either, but my youngest is 5 years old. And when he was 2 he would climb over baby gates, so they never really worked for us.

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I have always had his shut, as a child for fire safety

Now it stays shut for his privacy.

Never to lock him in.

momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I never shut the doors to sleep.  Not even our own-and they can come get us if they need us or if they just want to come lay down with us not a big deal in our home.

lesliemck86
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM

My son's door has always been closed when he sleeps. He started figuring out the child safety thing for a doorknob because he has a tendency to "wander" in the early morning hours, I always afraid he'll wake up the middle of the night and just walk out of the house because he's figured out ALL of the locks on every door....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)