• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

amoxicilan in a 5 mth old???? does this sound extreme? urgent advice please???

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:22 AM
  • 25 Replies

My dd was a preemie (twins) she had a rash on her shoulder today so my dh brought her to the Dr.   The Dr. prescribed a cortizone cream... something called Fluconazole and amoxicilan (both taken oraly) and I am allergic to amoxicilan... So is my mom... So was my grandpop...  My question is.. Should I give her the oral medicine?  What if she is allergic???  For now I just did the cortizone cream.  Are allegrgies heriditary? 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexhuntercody
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:24 AM

no they are not.

I would give it to her and just watch her. Typically the first allergy to it is a rash anyway.

TygerLily62

Did you ask the dr about that when he/she prescribed it? (I think they are, but I'm not sure)

Moomoo76

I don't know but i would check with your doctor, my mum was allergic to that stuff but i never was so it might not be passed down.

simplisity
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:25 AM

My SO is very allergic to any cillians, I am mildly. But when my daughter got it at 4 months she did fine. If you are really concerned call the night Dr. and ask them what they recommend.

alexhuntercody
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Quoting TygerLily62:

Did you ask the dr about that when he/she prescribed it? (I think they are, but I'm not sure)

no they aren't.

A lot of people are allergic to it; its a common allergy producing drug but there is nothing genetic that makes it that way.

I am allergic to it but my kids are not. Just watch her close OP. If your doctor prescribed it there is a need for it.

davidsmom81
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I wasn't there I was on a business trip.  Now I have no idea.  I just did the cream... Maybe I should just call tomorrow?

Quoting TygerLily62:

lynC
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I am not sure if they are or not.. however, I know that my doctor has an afterhour line where you can speak to a nurse or if needed, page the dr. I would call them and just ask to make sure. I would probably give it to her, and then just watch her closely. You will not know if she is allergic til you try it unfortunately. Good luck! :)

Oh yeah.. I am allergic to it but my kids are not.

alberns303
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Hi there! I am so sorry to hear that your baby is going through this! Fluconazole is and anti-fungal used to treat candida which is a type of yeast infection. It goes by the brand name Diflucan. It is not a cortizone cream. That being said, I would still give her the amoxicillin because she may not be allergic to it. Maybe you should wait and give her first dose in the morning so you can closely monitor her for an allergic reaction.

Hope she gets better soon!

davidsmom81
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Isn't it bad to give antibiotics that early? ( 5 mths?)  Can't ypu become immune to antibiotics that way?   MY DH kind of panicked and took her to the Dr. because she just had her shots.   

Quoting alexhuntercody:

Quoting TygerLily62:

no they aren't.

A lot of people are allergic to it; its a common allergy producing drug but there is nothing genetic that makes it that way.

I am allergic to it but my kids are not. Just watch her close OP. If your doctor prescribed it there is a need for it.

alberns303
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:30 AM

People don't become immune to antibiotics. Bacteria becomes resistant to antibiotics.

Quoting davidsmom81:

Isn't it bad to give antibiotics that early? ( 5 mths?)  Can't ypu become immune to antibiotics that way?   MY DH kind of panicked and took her to the Dr. because she just had her shots.   

Quoting alexhuntercody:

Quoting TygerLily62:

no they aren't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)