Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a question for nurses, pharmacists or anyone with pain med expertise i need advice please!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM
  • 6 Replies

a friend of mine just called in misery.  she has an infected tooth and/or gum and the doc can't get her in until tomorrow afternoon.  she has ultram from a back problem and wants to take it.  the problem is she already took a vicodin.  she says she took it around 9ish (its now almost 1 am here).  can you mix that stuff?  i told her to take another vic instead of something different and she said she only had one vic left over from her wisdom teeth.  i've taken them both in the past, but never together.  is that a good idea?  i told her to give me 10 minutes to try to find out for sure.  she said i better call back cuz she's at her wits end.  please dont bash.  she isn't some pill popper i think she just cant take it anymore...she was BALLING almost incoherently.  anyone know? 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
zjonzie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM

i dont know either, have her call a pharm because i think you can take vicodin with either tylenol or ibuprofen. 

marilyn623
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM

she could go to the er and get some meds, i'm not sure about mixing them

2gud2btrue
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:53 AM

i told her to go to the ER.  she said she called them and they are very busy tonight so she doesnt want to sit there in pain all night.  i'm gonna tell her to call the pharm.  i'm sure one of them has to still be open.  the only thing i've found so far on google was a forum discussion and it was more like "hey would this feel real good to take them together."  not quite what i'm looking for lol.

Quoting marilyn623:

she could go to the er and get some meds, i'm not sure about mixing them

mstricey
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:58 AM

There are no interactions between the two but she may have increased drowsiness..it's always best to check with her MD first. I work in a pharmacy and I'm licensed/certified tech.

2gud2btrue
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:04 AM

thank you i appreciate it.  i will let her know but i am still encouraging her to at least call the pharm, if not head into the ER. 

Quoting mstricey:

There are no interactions between the two but she may have increased drowsiness..it's always best to check with her MD first. I work in a pharmacy and I'm licensed/certified tech.

mstricey
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:08 AM

no problem..cvs's and walgreens are usually 24 hour pharmacies..good luck hope she feels better

Quoting 2gud2btrue:

thank you i appreciate it.  i will let her know but i am still encouraging her to at least call the pharm, if not head into the ER. 

Quoting mstricey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)