Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

military moms...have you ever dealt with this and how do you deal with it

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

i was talking to a friend recently about my short lived stint as a military wife and it reminded me of a story i had forgotten.  a friend of mine on base had some issues with her husband.  she woke up one night to him attacking her in his sleep.  the first time it was just him smacking at her and she got him to wake up.  it proceeded to get worse until she finally woke up to a gun in her face (they kept a gun under the bed until that happened).  he was having dreams related to him being overseas and was acting them out in his sleep i guess.  she was terrified (and so was he) that he was going to really hurt her and not even know it.  he was also scared to tell the docs cuz he was an MP and worried they'd take him off duty or discharge him.

has anyone else experienced this?  i felt so bad for him because you could tell he felt awful about it.  if my husband did that, i dont know if i could trust him again because he wasn't even aware he was doing it.  i had forgotten about it until talking to this friend, but now i'm just wondering, with the stress..does this happen more often then i'm aware.  until her, i had never heard of that.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skeletor1017
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM

PTSD....he needs to get some professional help.

AliciasMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:24 AM

That's what it sounds like post traumatic. They told me and dh not to have sex for like a week or so when he comes home because of the flash backs and stuff that might happen.

Kaelansmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:30 AM

The other ladies are right... PTSD. My dad and my DH had issues when they came back.

My dad attacked my mom twice. Once, she accidently kicked him and he grabbed her throat. they have both been asleep.

the other time, he kinda phased out, not really sure what happened, but she shook him and he took a swing at her. He never remembered any of it.

DH, when he came back the first time, was unable to drive. He ahd to watch teh road for "odd" things. I couldn't go over bags, or leaves or anything, or he would freak

Sirens were horrible too. We lived near a hospital on Ft Hood. I found him in the closet one night, after a series of ambulances went by, looking for his protective gear and weapon

If he gets sick, even now, he has flashbacks, mainly of the bombs and what he never tells em about.

JenB1983
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:31 AM

PTSD.  I've not only experienced it from SOs....to include being choked by an ex; but I also have dealt with my own experiences.  There are still stimes if I'm sleeping and their is a loud crash I roll off the bed and start looking for my weapon.  It sucks.

kiralyn
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM

i have never dealt with anything as serious as that. the only incident we had was during his r&r i ran over a bag in a parking lot and he screamed at me to stop and he jumped out of the car.

Kaelansmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:34 AM

Quoting kiralyn:

i have never dealt with anything as serious as that. the only incident we had was during his r&r i ran over a bag in a parking lot and he screamed at me to stop and he jumped out of the car.

that sounds soooo familiar. Did he make you run the other way as well?? I had to take the baby out of the carseat and run towards the store.

JenB1983
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Quoting Kaelansmom:

Quoting kiralyn:

that sounds soooo familiar. Did he make you run the other way as well?? I had to take the baby out of the carseat and run towards the store.

Imagine being the driver who has experienced that.  When I got back from Iraq; I was not allowed to get my vehicle from storage, nor was I allowed to rent a vehicle or drive for two weeks after returning.  They wanted me to try to decompress.  It still didn't work.  I ran over a bag in the movie theater(on base) and started freaking out and crying; sure I was going to be blown up.

**Admit it; it's more interesting then another "how I parent" siggy**

Kaelansmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:37 AM

Quoting JenB1983:

Quoting Kaelansmom:

Quoting kiralyn:

Imagine being the driver who has experienced that.  When I got back from Iraq; I was not allowed to get my vehicle from storage, nor was I allowed to rent a vehicle or drive for two weeks after returning.  They wanted me to try to decompress.  It still didn't work.  I ran over a bag in the movie theater(on base) and started freaking out and crying; sure I was going to be blown up.

Ooh, I hope you didn't think i thought it was funny. I don't. They gave him the green light to drive, but he tried and found that he couldn't watch everything. So, i ended up driving for a good 6 to 7 months after he got home.

kiralyn
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:38 AM

no he didnt. he pretty much snapped out of it i just yelled at him "Casadaro ITS OK!" and he calmed down. i was just glad i wasnt driving fast, i was pulling into a parking spot. i cant imagine if he jumped out without thinking and we were going fast.

Quoting Kaelansmom:

Quoting kiralyn:

NattysMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:38 AM

Nope my hubby hasn't suffered from anything like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)