Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborn baby abandoned outside house

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:07 AM
  • 34 Replies

Baby Adam's umbilical cord was tied with a bulldog clip.

Less than 24 hours old, the newborn was wearing a red singlet and wrapped tightly in a bunny blanket when he was abandoned on the doorstep of a house on the NSW south coast.

The tiny bundle, named "Adam" by hospital staff, was discovered by a homeowner in Koona Street, Albion Park Rail, south of Wollongong, about 5am (AEDT) on Thursday.

The resident found the child on the veranda after somebody knocked on the door before running away.

"We're obviously very concerned for the mum at the moment and we want to find her as quickly as possible," Lake Illawarra police Inspector Steve Johnson said later in the day.

Asked if she may be a local woman, Insp Johnson told AAP: "We're keeping everything open at the moment."

Insp Johnson wouldn't speculate on the reasons the baby was abandoned.

The baby was taken to Wollongong Hospital, where he is now being cared for by medical staff who say he's in a healthy condition despite being born less than 24 hours earlier.

"It had been wrapped very warmly and there was obviously a lot of compassion around making sure this baby remained safe, while it was left," nurse Deborah Cameron told radio 2GB.

He is believed to have been born at home rather than at a hospital.

Adam is described as being of white, European appearance with a small amount of light-coloured hair.

Anyone with information about the mother or baby is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5lilaussies
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:11 AM

how can anyone do this.. I know some have reasons but out side a home in Sydney Australia is disturbing

JAJA_Steele
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:11 AM

WTF is wrong with people?

5lilaussies
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:12 AM

exactly!!!! its so so sad

Quoting JAJA_Steele:

WTF is wrong with people?

JAJA_Steele
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:14 AM

I could not imagine having a child and not loving it so much to just leave it on a doorstep. I can't imagine not loving a child at all. People make me sick

5lilaussies
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:16 AM

I totally agree, and look at him, he is such a sweet heart, how could you not instantly fall in love with him

2gud2btrue
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:17 AM

wow...poor baby....poor mama.  thank god she abandoned him on a doorstep and not in a trash can.

JAJA_Steele
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:17 AM

I don't get it, some people just don't have a heart and those people break mine.

5lilaussies
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:18 AM

its horrible.... it breaks my heart.....

csnook
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:22 AM

he is a cutie. i dont get how people can do this

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM

what if no one would have answered the door? Atleast the aby is safe, it is sad though that it happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)