Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

immigrants driving..

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM
  • 72 Replies

the state of GA is in the middle of doing some law to where all GA residents must take the drivers test (written and driven) in just english....They say in order for more people to be safer then all drivers must know english..not just read signs..i guess we've had too many harmful accidents due to unable to read english..

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernjess3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM

thoughts??

mom2four1978
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Thats fine for legal immigrants, I guess. But I live in an area that has a large number of illegals. They don't take any drivers test. They drive without a license, so I just don't really see how this kind of rule would help.

~ LIZZY~

To find out what all the fuss is about click the heart:

my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I really don't know.  I have to say when we were stationed overseas we had to take a drivers test in order to get our USAFE liscense and the test was in English and we had to be able to recognize the signs and what they meant.  I was stationed in Greece for 2 years and I passed the test and drove just fine.  I think of it this way...as long as they have proper insurance, know what the street signs and warning signs mean then I see that as being good enough. 

southernjess3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM

i guess you gotta point..but maybe if they get caught driving they will recieve much harsher punishments

Quoting mom2four1978:

Thats fine for legal immigrants, I guess. But I live in an area that has a large number of illegals. They don't take any drivers test. They drive without a license, so I just don't really see how this kind of rule would help.

CafeMom Tickers

Shauna71904
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM

well yea and imagine how confusing the roads would be if we had English and Spanish signs... the thing about living in the US not just GA (where I reside).... you need to learn English. It is the primary language. That would be like me going and forcing other countries to put English everyone, just to convenience me... I will flip if they try to fight for Spanish signs on the roads, that would just complicate driving in a bad enough city known as ATL!

muslimah
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM

I don't see how this will solve a problem. Many people have an International Driver Licence. My brother in law visited me for 4 months from Egypt and did not know how to read, write or barley speak English but he still drove our 3rd car with his International Driver Licence.

southernjess3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:37 AM

ive never heard of an international drivers lisense...we just have state ones here

milrtme80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I think that is a great law. Our language is ENGLISH...not whatever you choose to speak. If you want to live in America then I think you should have to follow the laws of America. But unfortunatly some people think they don't have to.

katnjaquesmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:41 AM

America doesn't have an official lang.   We never claimed one...

katnjaquesmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)