Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd experienced this for the first time yesterday :/

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:28 AM
  • 97 Replies

Yesterday, Jenelle (8) was sitting by a girl she is friends with. This girl is in the neighborhood but I don't let them play together because she lives too far away (Jenelle has to stay within eyesight unless she has her phone with her, and then she still has to stay within earshot). So the only time they see each other is at the bus stop and on the bus. They have sat together since the beginning of the year, because the little girl was being made fun of (for being a red head) and my dd stuck up for her.

So, anyway, Jenelle told me this morning that she can't sit by (this girl) anymore. I asked why and she said that another girl called her (my dd) a lesbian for wanting to sit by the other girl all the time.

The girl that said it is in third grade.

And YES, to get this detail out of the way for the CM detectives, she said it because she knows Jenelle's moms are lesbians.

But how does a third grader KNOW to make fun of someone and call her a lesbian? Who taught her it was "bad"? 

Jenelle told the girl, "Just because my moms are lesbians doesn't mean you have to call me one." but the girl just encouraged others to join in and make fun of her (but they did not, thankfully).

She's been made fun of for other things (for her hair naturally being two colors and for being tall, and skinny, and God only knows what else) so this didn't take her by surprise, nor did she think it was THAT big of deal... but she did mention it this morning and I AM PISSED. It's going to take EVERYTHING I have in me not to say something to this brat at the bus stop.

Pissed pissed pisssssssssssssssssed.

Any suggestions on what Jenelle should say (in the future) to those who say things like this?

Want to know more about me? Follow my blog. Would love to see you there. (nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com)

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Not sure mamas but here's a bump..Kids these days are just getting worse and worse

Ashtonsmommy529
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM
:( no words of advise. But that is just sad. Poor thing
s.t.e.p.h
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I feel so sad for her..she needs to be proud of who her moms are and stand her ground. Kids are always going to be mean and be bullies, and she can't do anything to stop it. Love comes in all kinds of ways and she needs to express that and hold her head high!

Kim3787

I would bring it up to the school and have it monitored on the bus. Bullying has become a serious issue in American schools and I think more parents should start intervening earlier on rather than letting the kids hash it out on their own. If your beautiful little girl is being made fun of on a regular basis, you and the school should be stepping up and taking care of it. Good luck momma.

Sparkey6987

Honestly, I wouldn't make too much of it. Kids tease each other, and unless it becomes more than an isolated incident, I would let it go.

ETA: Also, kids tend to make fun of things they don't understand. I'm sure the concept of being gay may be a little difficult for an 8 year old who has no exposure to it.

RiverPhenix
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Wow, I would be upset also. Tell her to either ignore it or tell the bus driver. I really don't know. When I would get teased at school and on the bus I would ignore it as much as I could. If I couldn't ignore it my sister, who is 5 years older than me, would tell the person to leave me alone or else. I am sorry you and your dd is going thru this. You could call the school also and tell them this girl is bullying your and the other girl.

Okiemamatoo3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Saw this on little bill...lol not kidding...

little bill was being bullied and he told his dad his dad said "ok well is it true" little bill said no big bill said "then just say so...and if they keep talking just say so...if it is not true and you know its not just say SO!!!"

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I'm so sorry that this happened to your little girl, I would have been pissed too. I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to say I was sorry.

Sparkyfire
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM

she could always just shrug it off an ignore her.

Most bullys get their power from your reaction. If you ignore them or cointinue to do what ever it was you where doing that they teased you about they eaither run outa ammo an leave you alone or find somethin else to pick at. If it becomes uncomfortable for your DD she should go to the principal and talk with him about this issue.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Maybe try talking to the bully's parents? I doubt the school would do much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)