Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any real estate agents here?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM
  • 9 Replies

My SO and I are looking to buy a house and we were wondering how the idea of people using buyer agents goes over with listing agents?

We're first time home buyers and we think that using a buyer's agent might be better for us when it comes to negotiations but we don't want to create any ill will with the listing/selling agent.

Thanks!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lizmarie1975
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM

bump

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:31 AM

<--Licensed Realtor and I have never had or heard of a listing agent having an issue w/a buyers agent. =)

The only issue that could possibly arise would be if you found a house you really were interested in and the agent you chose was the one who listed it.  But if the agent is strictly a "Buyers" agent ( I haven't meant many that are ONLY always a buyers agent) then this won't happen or if she doesn't have much listed ..anyway I doubt this would be an issue.

Have ya???

lizmarie1975
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Quoting Mackenzie40:

<--Licensed Realtor and I have never had or heard of a listing agent having an issue w/a buyers agent. =)

The only issue that could possibly arise would be if you found a house you really were interested in and the agent you chose was the one who listed it.  But if the agent is strictly a "Buyers" agent ( I haven't meant many that are ONLY always a buyers agent) then this won't happen or if she doesn't have much listed ..anyway I doubt this would be an issue.

Thanks so much!  There is a business in NY that only provides buyer's agents services and we were interested in hiring them.  We do have a particular house in mind and have already visited it with the selling agent.  The BA said that as long as we didn't sign anything with the SA/LA (?) then we could still use the BA.  The LA was very nice but we do realize she has an obligation to the seller.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM

me too!  I don't know why a buyer wouldn't have an agent, I have rarely seen the buyers have to pay the agent at all, the seller does, so why not! (sometimes issues can come up if its a for sale by owner and the seller doesn't want to pay)  As far as if you end up liking a house your agent has listed, depending on the office and state they can have someone else from their office do the contracts for you.  That is how my office handled it.  In my state you are leagally allowed to represent both sides, but my boss decided we would avoid that whole issue and just have someone else in the office help us out. 

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

since she's got a buyers ONLY agency I suppose she wouldn't  run into these issues..but this sentence in your reply about about getting another agent in the office you have to admit that even that can be dicey since the sellers may not be so okay with it and now the original agent knows she's not getting the best payday possible for herself. Personally i never had an issue with it but I have seen some pretty cut throat Realtors ..LOL kwim?

Quoting ctfirsttimemom:

me too!  I don't know why a buyer wouldn't have an agent, I have rarely seen the buyers have to pay the agent at all, the seller does, so why not! (sometimes issues can come up if its a for sale by owner and the seller doesn't want to pay)  As far as if you end up liking a house your agent has listed, depending on the office andstate they can have someone else from their office do the contracts for you.  That is how my office handled it.  In my state you are leagally allowed to represent both sides, but my boss decided we would avoid that whole issue and just have someone else in the office help us out. 

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Have ya???

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Can I ask where you're looking to move to in NY?

Have ya???

lizmarie1975
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Westchester, specifically the house is in Jefferson Valley.

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Congratulations !!!

I'm in NY myself but not even close , it is such a large State isn't it? I'm about 3 hrs <?> NW from where you'll be . Still I just love Upstate ! Hope it all turns out the way you want !

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Have ya???

lizmarie1975
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Congratulations !!!

I'm in NY myself but not even close , it is such a large State isn't it? I'm about 3 hrs NW from where you'll be . Still I just love Upstate ! Hope it all turns out the way you want !

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Thanks, we're currently in Queens but we need more space.  Peekskill, Yorktown Heights, and that area was the furthest away from the city that I could convince SO to move...lol.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)