Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want to be around anyone right now. Is this normal?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:56 AM
  • 1 Replies

I am about three weeks out from my due date and everyone wants to be around and help me unpack (we just moved to a 2 bedroom apartment) and help me set up the crib, talk about the baby etc. I have people wanting to give me hand me downs and all kinds of gratuitous advice, and the thing is I just want everyone to back off, leave me alone, and let me and DH get ready for our baby. I am not one of those people who thinks it takes a village, and I don't want a village, I don't want to be told that it is okay to heat a bottle in the microwave, or that cloth diapers mean I am going to need diaper rash cream by the gallons, or that my baby will be cold if I don't put a blanket in the crib with her, or that I can't expect that a book is going to tell me anything about how to be a good parent, or that I should sleep while I still can ANYMORE. I just want everyone to back off, leave me alone and let me get ready for my baby. I had no idea that getting pregnant all the sudden makes you an IDIOT who doesn't know how to do anything without the advice of everyone else. I was under the impression that I was a competent adult who has been working in childcare for 11 years, but I guess that is not the case. Did anyone else go through this wanting to just be completely solitary thing?

I am a...

Cloth diapering, Breast Feeding, Vaxxing, Crib Sleeping, Wiccan, Gay Rights Supporting, Outdoorsy, Crafty, Animal loving,  Girl Scout Supporting, College Educated, Army Wife, Other culture obsorbing, liberal,WAHM,To one beautiful baby girl.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Mom2torandis
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM

If you need time to yourself, just tell them.  I never had this issue because I hated being pregnant and was a miserable witch, so people left me alone as much as possible.

If I was in your shoes I would just tell them "Listen, I know you all mean well but, I need some time to myself."

Remember you are the only one that knows exactly how you feel, if you don't tell people then they don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)