Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody know about Ultrasound Techs

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am a small business owner and it's obvious that with the poor economy I won't be able to support my kids much longer from the income of the business.  I'm really struggling right now to keep the doors open.  I've been looking into other careers and I'm thinking about going for a degree to be an Ultrasound Tech.  It seems very interesting to me.  Is there anyone out there that is one or knows anything about the field?  What were the training requirements?  Was it easy to find a job as one and what's the pay? 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hmsfroggy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM

No but I have been thinking about doing the same thing so I would love to hear what others have to say too

mandaa0986
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM

bump

pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:08 AM

i've actually been really thinking of doing this as well. my dream is to be a personal trainer,but i think that it may be smarter to get into something solid that i know will pay!

4kidz916

Thanks for the information.  I'm going to check out the google link now.

s.t.e.p.h

My soon to be step dad is an ultrasound tech. But he's also the lead tech and has had his job for over 20 years. I don't know how long he went to school for, but he makes over $110,000/year.

gregheather
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I work in an Imaging Dept at a hospital and one of the downsides to being an Ultrasound tech is being on call. Our techs can get called out a couple times a night and still have to work a full shift the next day. Also be aware that being a tech is not just taking pictures - its also procedures and dealing with unpleasant bodily fluids and the heartbreak of knowing someone miscarried, or their baby died and not being able to say a word to them or express sympathy at their loss because you can't tell them the results.

4kidz916
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Quoting gregheather:

I work in an Imaging Dept at a hospital and one of the downsides to being an Ultrasound tech is being on call. Our techs can get called out a couple times a night and still have to work a full shift the next day. Also be aware that being a tech is not just taking pictures - its also procedures and dealing with unpleasant bodily fluids and the heartbreak of knowing someone miscarried, or their baby died and not being able to say a word to them or express sympathy at their loss because you can't tell them the results.

Thanks for pointing all of that out.  I know there are always down sides to every job.  I think I could deal with the "heartbreak" part, it would be tough but I've been through a lot in my life so I really think I could deal with that.  I am curious though as to what unpleasant bodily fluids may be involved.   I may not be able to handle those.  lol

4kidz916
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Quoting s.t.e.p.h:

My soon to be step dad is an ultrasound tech. But he's also the lead tech and has had his job for over 20 years. I don't know how long he went to school for, but he makes over $110,000/year.

Wow, sounds like he is doing well.  I know that the starting salaries aren't very high but I am one that believes a career shouldn't revolve around the salary. 

lorililly
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM

bump.. i have been thinking the same thing.. maybe we can help each other :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)