Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you move out of a place...........POLL about cleaning.. EDIT!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:34 AM
  • 37 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you steam clean the carpets before you left?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 86

View Results

Would you clean the carpets if you could?

We rent this house, our landlord sold it, now we have to move.

My DD (when we took away her sippy cup) still tried coming in the living room with a regular cup until we broke her of it. During that time she made a few spills. I cleaned the spills up as they happened, but there are still stains that may be able to come up with a steam cleaner and I am thinking about cleaning it.

I am trying to decide what to do because I am thinking the lady that bought it is probably going to rip the carpet out and put new down (or that's what I would do, I hate old carpet..EWWW!)

We did have a lease, but we let him out of it early because the reason he sold it is because he has cancer (mesothelioma) and he wants to move out of state to be with his family.

We did put down a deposit, but IDK if it is even still valid or not...we are not paying rent for this month because we got the eviction notice last week.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv_my_xiya
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:35 AM

what does your lease say? did you pay a security deposit?

--Nicole--
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM

If you dont have to worry about a deposit, I wouldn't. Plus when I steam clean here, the stains go away for 2-3 days, then just come right back.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

anetrnlov
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Are you going to lose your security deposit anyway?  If so I wouldn't worry about it.

omgamomie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM

idk steam it because my dad has a steamer so im not out on any money. I will do whatever is needed to get my deposit back.

allurasmamma
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:38 AM

other. it depends did you have a deposit? What does the LL say about doing it? you r right, they prob. will rip out the carpets..i would not waste my money.

clovismommy25
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM

In your case I wouldn't. But when we moved out of the rental and bought our house, we had both cleaned. The rental because DS had snuck a small bag of sun chips in his room, poured water in the bag and stuffed it behind his shelf. It molded. And I was pregnant when we lived there and ate salsa like it was water, I spilled in the living room one time. Everything came out, thank God, because it was brand new carpet. We got it done here because this house is a 70's and the carpet has never been changed. It is going to be a few more months till we can change it. So for now, cleaning it was best!

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I wouldn't.. That was shitty of your landlord to sell the house from under you. Did you have a lease or was it about to be up?? If you have a lease I believe they can't sell while it's still valid.. Our landlord has let this house go into foreclosure so hell no I will not be cleaning anything when we leave.. And sadly we only had a month to month so there was no repercussions for his actions but the day we got the paper rent was done being paid.. I paid him every month and he didn't pay the bank so screw him..

Thisgalheather
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I would steam it because that is what I would excpect even if I was planning to rip it up I would still appreciate it to being cleaned.  It showes that the previous tennant had some pride in the place and didn't just trash it because it wasn't their own.

mommyziegler
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM

i believe in leaving a place how you found it...

rockinmama07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I do (I also do a fresh coat of white paint on all walls, doorjambs, moldings and window sills), just so I can say I cleaned everything.  I also take pictures after everything is moved out before I start cleaning and I have the landlord initial the back of each picture with the date.  Then I take pictures after I clean and I have them do the same thing.  I started doing that when we moved out of our 1st apartment.  After the walk through where the landlord said everything was perfect, we didn't get our deposit back.  Instead we got a letter stating that he had to do all this cleaning and painting.  Because I didn't have pictures I didn't have a leg to stand on.  So I've started doing that and I get my full deposit back everytime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)