Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 CHILDREN SICK!!! Please read and give your input, I really need your help ladies! Thanks

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM
  • 14 Replies

Ok, I run a licensed in home daycare and right now I have a total of 5 children and 4 of them are obviously sick. This is getting out of hand. Now I usually dont turn away a child that has a runny nose, but these kids are def. ill.They have green snot, continuous coughing and sneezing and are tired and crabby and have no appetite.And obviously its contagious because they all have it.The problem is my parents seem to think the only reason for keeping an ill child home is a fever.And then some of them still send them to daycare with a fever but on fever reducing meds!Just a couple weeks ago I had a child throw up fever reducing meds! And guess who was throwing up the next day at a very important and expensive daycare seminar? ME!

I obviously have to re-word my illness policy. I understand that its hard to take off time at work, but I cant risk getting sick and shutting down the daycare, or shutting it down to de contaminate.That would suck for everyone!Can you help me? My parents need things spelled out for them, and in the simplest terms! LOL

Here are my issues:

Parents sending their child to daycare with fever reducing meds to cover up thier fever

Parents sending an obviously sick and contagious child to daycare because there is no fever (you dont have to have a fever to have a contagious illness)

Ok, so I know that I am probably going to get bashed for this because alot of women think they know it all.Before you do, just put yourself in my shoes.Do you want illness brought into your home exposing you and your family and others? Putting you and your family at risk for missing work, school,family and school functions? Would you like to have to shut your home down for decontamination? I dont think so.So just think about that. There is a difference between a runny nose (which all kids have) and a contagious illness.

And just to let you know I took all thier temps. They are all close to 99 and one of them is almost 100. I know all of their temps when they are not sick, so their temps are elevated.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessil83
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM

specify if a child has been given medication for a fever w/in the last 24 hrs they can not come.

fever in last 24 hrs they can not come

that if you feel the child is contagious you will call them/their emergency contact to pick up their child and they must be there w/in an hour (this is what both the in home center and the regular center that i took my daughter to said, this will hopefully prevent them from bringing the child in when obviously sick) 

you could also (don't know if people would go with it) say that IF a child comes into your home, and gets other children sick (and it was obvious this child was already sick) and you have to close for a day to clean and sanitize your home that the parents will be charged a fee for your lost day of work due to their negligence.

Rebeccaroe
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Just reword you policy and if an issue comes up and the parents send the kids still and you learn later they are sick call right away for the parents to pick them up.

annie610
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I'm sorry mama. I think that parent's should keep sick little one's at home, or find someone else to care for them until they are feeling better.

calcalmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Some people just don't have common sense!  A green snotty nose is a cold which is contagious!!  How do you not know that?  If your kid has a fever, yes, you do need to keep them home.  Their bodies are fighting something that may be contagious!  Honestly, I would tell pass a new rule, at least during the sickest months of the year....For the safety and health of other children, please keep your obviously sick child home!! 

tigerlillyt7
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM

bump

tigerlillyt7
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:05 AM

That is in my illness policy.The parents know this.Its the same with throwing up and diarrea. I have two parents that I can count on to give their child the meds in the morning, then come noon they are spiking again and have to be sent home.It sucks!

Quoting jessil83:

specify if a child has been given medication for a fever w/in the last 24 hrs they can not come.

fever in last 24 hrs they can not come

that if you feel the child is contagious you will call them/their emergency contact to pick up their child and they must be there w/in an hour (this is what both the in home center and the regular center that i took my daughter to said, this will hopefully prevent them from bringing the child in when obviously sick) 

you could also (don't know if people would go with it) say that IF a child comes into your home, and gets other children sick (and it was obvious this child was already sick) and you have to close for a day to clean and sanitize your home that the parents will be charged a fee for your lost day of work due to their negligence.

jackie8380
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM

The preschool I worked at as well as the one that my four year old attends spell it out very clearly.  They also have a form they fill out when a parent is called to pick up a child that clearly states why they are being sent home and when they are able to return.  (its like a check list thing with all the reasons a child could be sent home then we would just check which that particular child was exhibiting)  Like others have said I would just very clearly write up a new sick policy.  Green means infection!  You may want to check with your pediatrician about the temp thing, I've seen schools that will call for anything over 100.1 but some it is 101.0  Good Luck.  I know how frustrating it is dealing with parents that send in sick kids.   

mommy2two26
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM

my sitter never took sick kids...i would call the parents and tell them they have to come get their children now!and let the other parents know that their kids were exposed and that they may want to get them some vitimines or give them some vitC....good luck mama!!!

tigerlillyt7
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:11 PM

tigerlillyt7
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)