Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name Spellings *May cause drama...sorry*

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:20 AM
  • 84 Replies

I have a friend who had to go to court and legally change the spelling of her son's name because it was wrong on the birth certificate. She says the nurse spelled it wrong but her aunt says the nurse spelled it the way she told her to (her aunt was in the room).

So, do you think some people spell their child's name "different" because they can't spell?

ETA - my name is Tahra (pronounced Tara) and it is spelled that way on purpose. So, I have gone through my life having to spell my name to everyone because it is just assumed to be "Tara." It can be very annoying, especially as a child!

I am a Christian I love my husband I am the Momma to a wonderful little boy My Dad is my hero I kissed several frogs before God sent me my prince I love to travel I love to sing I love to read I am outspoken I believe everybody is somebody's hero I love chocolate I believe life is what you make of it so you better make it good I AM BLESSED!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Lol!!!!!
popcorn

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:22 AM

it is certainly possible

SLGross215
by Sarah on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Really?

I would say no. I named my son Evyn (Evan) because I like it spelled that way, not because I can't spell.

FotoFlexer_Animation-2.gif #2 picture by SLGross215

DnKsmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:24 AM

It's your kid how can it be spelled wrong? You can spell their name any way you see fit. My sons name is KODI. Nope we didn't spell it wrong although most are used to seeing it spelled CODY. We wanted it to be different. This way even if there is another CODY in his class some day chances are it wont be spelled the same.

KyinsMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:27 AM

haha maybe? My husband ended up with a weird spelling of his name b/c his mom spelled it the way a soap opera characters name was spelled! His name is Jerrad btw.  And yes it's ALWAYS mispelled.  We name our son Kyin.  It's normally spelly Kyan..but we spelled it the way we wanted it pronounced.  ky-IN not ky-an.

Amy0481
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I think that happens sometimes.  My former step-nephew was almost "Justine" because his mom didn't know that an E didn't belong on the end.  The nurse caught it and spared Justin 18 years of explaining himself. 

I do think there's a fair amount of attempts at originality going on, and the result is a lot of names that leave you second guessing on spelling or pronunciation. 

Of course, modern-day names aren't responsible for difficult pronunciations.  The Irish have been doing it for centuries.  I love Irish names, but I didn't want to burden my kids.

momma_bear1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I didn't say "wrong" I said "different." If you choose to spell your child's name different that is one thing. But, if you are just guessing at the spelling because you haven't taken the time to research the name you pick, that is another.

BTW - I really like the way you spell Kodi :)

Quoting DnKsmommy:

It's your kid how can it be spelled wrong? You can spell their name any way you see fit. My sons name is KODI. Nope we didn't spell it wrong although most are used to seeing it spelled CODY. We wanted it to be different. This way even if there is another CODY in his class some day chances are it wont be spelled the same.

I am a Christian I love my husband I am the Momma to a wonderful little boy My Dad is my hero I kissed several frogs before God sent me my prince I love to travel I love to sing I love to read I am outspoken I believe everybody is somebody's hero I love chocolate I believe life is what you make of it so you better make it good I AM BLESSED!

klynn80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM

my parents had to do that when I was a baby, my name was spelled wrong on my original birth certificate. 

my name is spelled Kellie - actually not an uncommon spelling. 

BaBiiMaMa89
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM

No, I think it's to be "unique". Even though it's not very unique anymore...

NewJoyOn1308
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I don't know if that's the case often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)