Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of four or more, I need some advice...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM
  • 12 Replies

On vehicles. We are in need of a new vehicle and I was wondering what some of you owned, an what you like and don't like about them. And maybe how you arrange the seating so everyone fits.  I am due in October with my fourth baby, I have a 9 yo ss, two dd's 6 & 4, and a 17 mo son. So I will have 4 in car seats, if we go with a seven passenger, do you think I would be able to get three car seats on a bench seat? We currently have a 95 caravan. Since it's an older style and I know I wouldn't be able to get three in the back row. I guess the newer vans would probably be a little wider. And my ss is kind of a big boy, about 100 lbs, so he can't fit between the two car seats.  Also if anyone owns an eight passenger, what are you driving and what are your opinions? Thanks ladies!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
devrocarek
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I had a 97 voyager and it worked great with four, I put the baby on the front bench seat and then had my two year old's carseat on one side of the back, the side with the opening since she needed help getting out, and the five year old's booster in the middle and the four year old's booster next to that...it worked great and if they needed help I could open the back and easily help them after getting the baby in and he was always the last out.

mommyyokes
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Our van has two bench seats as well. Right now our girls are in the back, the baby is on the inside on the front bench and the oldest sits by the door.

Quoting devrocarek:

I had a 97 voyager and it worked great with four, I put the baby on the front bench seat and then had my two year old's carseat on one side of the back, the side with the opening since she needed help getting out, and the five year old's booster in the middle and the four year old's booster next to that...it worked great and if they needed help I could open the back and easily help them after getting the baby in and he was always the last out.

mommyyokes
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM

bump

CnMe31
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Not a Dodge Durango...works well for us with older kids, but I don't think so with car seats.

clovismommy25
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I am looking into the Chevy Travers! It is 8 passenger! Great mpg and safety!

hard_hat_mommie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

i'm no a van person. basically cuz i can't park worth a crap.

i'm looking into a dodge journey,and the mazda crossover (forget what it is called)

Mommie2Kailen
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I have a 2007 Chrystler Town and Country Touring. It's a 7 passenger van, 3  cars seats will fit in the back bend seat and you have two captain chairs in the second row seating. so a fourth would work there. I love my van!! Lots of leg room, and a pretty large amount of cargo space behind the 3rd row seating. Both side doors open with safety switches to turn off the inside buttons to open the door. The only thing I dislike is the key is a 6 way key and if you lose it its a 500.00 key

Rmiddelton
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I am about to have my 4th child in August and we just bought a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette, it has two captain chairs in the middle and a bench seat in the back. It seats 7, and whats even more great about it is the fact that there are dual sliding doors and they are both automatic you push a button and they open which will definately come in handy when you have your hands full of kids. I have a 6 year old girl and twin 19 month old boys and will have my daughter in August.

mama2mycuties
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Look into a minivan....the 3rd row seating in most suv's is a pain in the tush to put seats in....it can be done but you might end up having to buy them all new seats just to get it puzzled in right....join the car seat safety group and they can direct you to a site where you can view pics of successful three across for suv's/vans etc.

To give you an example we drive a 01 Ford Expedition with a 3rd row bench seat....if i had known ahead of time i'd be having 5 kids i would never ever have bought it.....the only combos that are possible so far in my 3rd row are 2 VERY narrow booster seats and 1 sunshine kids radian in the middle or 3 sunshine kids radians....i've tried other seats and it just didn't work and i can't find anyone thats done it successfully any other way the seat is just to short to fit larger ones on it.

suv/crossovers also much less room in the "trunk" with 3rd rows... and they are a pain to climb into when buckling kids...mini vans have larger doors so the ease of climbing in and out is worth it with that many kids :)

celestegood
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I have a 2000 windstar, and it is very roomy.

I put two carseats in the second seat, the third seat is my dd, who is 13, and my ds, who is 8 and in a booster seat.  They all fit comfortably in it.  I could fit one more kid in my car, none in the front seat, either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)