Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my crazy night in the ER! I filed a complaint. i was pissed. Kind of long.

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM
  • 38 Replies

My son had to go to the ER last night due to his asthma. he was breathing fast and using his stomach in a weird way and he was looking rather red. I called his doctor but didnt' wait for a callback because i didn't trust how he was looking.

Ok so here is how our almost 7 hour ER trip went. Yes 7 hours! from 130 ish to 7am.

We get over there and there is a cop at the desk. I am given a form to fill out with patient name, number, birth date and complaint. While i am filling it out another cop comes in. they shoot the breeze a little. I hand over my form to the cop who was there. Well he leaves. I guess to go home. Well i am  sitting there and they are triaging all these people who look completely fine. I didn't say anything. Well a prostitute looking chick comes strolling in and she says her tooth hurts. the cop makes her fill out the same form and not more than 5 minutes later they called her back to triage. I am getting fucking pissed at this point so i sit there and stare down cop boy. cop boy starts staring back at me, then he gets up and bends down and picks up something that was on the other side of the desk. (where patients stand) Its a form. he takes the form into triage and i swear to god not more than a minute later they call my son's name! Old cop who left dropped and forgot about MY form!!!! Total wait time in the waiting area to be triaged was almost a hour at this point. Crazy thing #1.

Well we get back to triage and the nurse there looked kind of annoyed. She says his 02 was good, his resps were a little high, but he wasn't wheezing. She did note his stomach muscles. she put a id bracelet on and sends us back out to wait. I ask her how long. She said she didn't know they were really full and there were 5 people waiting. Since i honestly didn't know what was wrong with those people i didn't say anything..but they didnt' look sick to me. and as for girl with a hurt tooth she could of been having other things so again i didnt' say anything.  So we go back out to wait and not more than 20 or so minutes later my son starts getting really restless and i feel something against my hand that was on his back. every time he breathed i felt this rattling hitting my hand. He starts making a funky noise.  So i get up and i tell the cop that my son is getting worse and is now wheezing. He looks at me and says wheezing? i am like yeah i need to see the nurse again because according to her he wasn't wheezing before.. He straight up said she was busy!  mama bear is coming out now and I'm getting REALLY angry and i am like well i need to see SOMEONE he is wheezing and according to that lady in there he wasn't before!  Well old girl comes strolling out of there eating a stupid snack cake! THAT was what she was sooooo busy with?!?! ARE you KIDDING me!?!?! Well she listens to him and calls back and says something along the lines of "that asthma kid is wheezing and raling and something else i can't remember what she said". So like 5 minutes later we are back there. Crazy thing #2.

So we get back there and a male nurse hooks my son up to the o2 machine and sees that he is stating between 90-93. So he hooks him up to o2 and then listens and says definitely wheezing now. He leaves. then this girl comes in and she says she is a respiratory therapist and she listens but she says he sounds good..tells the other girl who was with her no one has seem him yet (she was setting up to do a treatment) and then THEY leave.  About 40 minutes LATER doctor comes walking in and notices his chest and stomach muscles and listens and says yeah he is wheezing..I'm going to order a chest xray, breathing treatment and oral steroid and then I'll be back to check on him. I tell that doctor the resp therapist was JUST in here and left.  Well radiology comes and does his xray rather promptly but that was as far as it went. We waited and waited and waited. I go out and i ask what is taking so long at least 4 different times and they always said someone will be in..someone will be in..they are really busy..he is next in the que..  3 FUCKING HOURS LATER  the doctor comes in and says "so how is he doing?" "did it help..he seems to be still struggling" I am livid and i get a little louder than i meant and i said NOONE has been in here! He hasn't had a steroid..he hasn't had that treatment the only thing done was a stupid x ray! I told him again how the therapist came in before he did and said he sounded "good". So he goes out and i hear him and you can tell he is getting mad. Wellabout a hour later the resp therapist comes back and now says oh wow he is sounding kind of bad" administers 2 treatments and then later nurse comes in and gives him his steroid at the SAME time we are being dismissed.

They dismissed him although he hadn't fully recovered. He was still having some issues and his pulse thingy never made it back over 94.

We are going to the pulmo today at 2..but yeah i am pissed and I filed a complaint.  Sorry so long but i am still kind of angry with how we were treated there last night/this morning.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
okchev73
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

wow im sorry you and him had to go through that .. i would have filed a complaint to .. i hope he gets to feeling better soon

alexhuntercody
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM

thanks.

chelleybeans

Do you guys not have a nebulizer for him at your home already?

devrocarek

Damn girl I would be too! I do hope he gets better really soon! My mommy bear tends to be a bit worse though and I would not have taken as long to get bitchy, I would have flipped sooner lol.  I have had issues like that with my four year old. My son was only six days old when he got pnuemonia (sp?) and was put in the hospital.  The first night I stayed with him but was told he would be there for awhile so went home the next day while his dad stayed with him.  I was gone for maybe 30 minutes.  His dad calls me and tells me his O2 was down to 85 and the nurse hadn't come in yet and this happened right after I left.  I told him I would be there in a few as we didn't live very far from the hospital.  I get there and Blade's O2 was down to 80 and the witch still hadn't come in and Steven had pressed the button several times.  I walked out to the nurse's station and SIX of them are sitting there bullshitting and laughing and joking.  I flipped! I yelled at them and my language got a little harsh.  I DEMANDED they get a respitory therapist in my son's room and get him on O2 immediately.  They called the doc while I was standing there and then tried to tell me we had to wait for the doc but it would be about an hour before he would be there because he was on the lake with his family.  I told them "No it won't be an fing hour you will do it now! He hasn't been able to breathe for over an hour now and you WILL do something about it NOW!" They got the person in there in about 3 mintues after that and got him on oxygen.  It went up immediately and he started doing better.  The doctor came in and checked him out and said he was getting worse so they were transfering him to a better hospital so he could have better treatment and be at a hospital that was more equipped for an emergency as they didn't have infant respirators if my son required it.  My son's nurse was crying by the time I got done yelling at her and the doc yelled at her too.  All six of the nurses sitting at the desk were fired.

pregnancy week by week

alexhuntercody
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Quoting chelleybeans:

yes but they weren't working.

chelleybeans
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Do you guys have steroids for him at home too? or does he take any on regular basis through his neb? I know you have been saying his asthma has been acting up lately, I hope you guys can get it uner control. It's so scary. My son has it too and so do I. *hugs*

Quoting alexhuntercody:

Quoting chelleybeans:

Luv_my_hubby
by Nikki on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I would have filed a complaint too and been super pissed but I know how it feels not to be a able to breath since I have ashma!

alexxxxx
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Couldn't get past the 3rd pg before needing to comment - if anyone, especially a child, comes in to the ER with an asthma or any type of breathing problem for that matter, they should be a TOP PRIORITY. He should have been seen IMMEDIATELY. This is very frustrating to me. I have never had to wait in an ER to be seen for an asthma attack, after the albuterol treatment I have to wait like everyone else, but I have never had to wait to get into triage, that is ridiculous.

alexhuntercody
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Quoting chelleybeans:

Do you guys have steroids for him at home too? or does he take any on regular basis through his neb? I know you have been saying his asthma has been acting up lately, I hope you guys can get it uner control. It's so scary. My son has it too and so do I. *hugs*

Quoting alexhuntercody:

Quoting chelleybeans:

the only medicine he is on a regular basis is his adviar and singulair. He is on albuterol for attacks and symptoms and we have both a inhaler and the liquid for the machine.

Last night or this morning..i haven't been to bed yet so forgive me they did give me a weeks worth of orapred.

Monica208
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM

i wonder if this is the same ER i took my son too on monday... they did nothing for him... said he was ok... i take him to the doc the next day and hes got rosela (?) and strep.... good work ER... sorry u went through that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)