• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

torticollis???? Anyones baby diagnosed with this?? Pics

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM
  • 13 Replies

My baby girl is 2 months old now and she favors the right side of her head. She can turn her head in both directions but likes the right side best. I'm wondering if anyone had a child with this what are the smptoms of it? I've googled it but that just makes me worried. Heres some pics of her.

This is how she normally sleeps with her head tilted.

How she normally keeps it turned

Just showing that she can turn her head to the left.

Another one showing she can keep her head turned to the left.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missingbelle
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Yup my son was its no big deal really just everyday a few times a day turn her head to the other side. All it is is stretching out the other side of the neck (muscles) just like stretching before a jog over some time she will be able to turn her head both directions. You will not hurt her and there is no need for physical therapy just do it little by litte she will be fine.

missingbelle
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

My son was actually born with clubfoot as well on his left foot. With torticollis its basically lazy muscles as my doc. put it ,lol. You just need to stretch them a bit everyday to stratch them out . Does this make sense ? if not I can do a video for you and e-mail it to ya to show you exactly how I did it.

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Yes my son had this but by the time he was diagnosed he needed Physical therapy and a Cranial remolding helmet.. Ask your ped about the stretching exercises and if she thinks your dd needs P.T.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

It can be a big deal if not taken care of early.  I have a few friends from my reflux group whos kiddos have this.  does your DD have reflux?  If so it needs to be controlled well for the exercises to work.  I would get to Pedi and request PT  Good Luck

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

BTW  What a cutie!!

QuickMomma
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Yep my son had it.We started putting him on the other end of the crib so he would have no choice but to face the other way.Tummy time we would put his head the otherway then roll up a blanket and put it behind his head so he could not move it.We had a developmental therapist come to our home back then for my daughter,she noticed it and started working with him and those are some of the things she had us do.Hes now 2 years old and fine.

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I also wanted to add that if the torticollis is left untreated it will develop in to Plagiocephaly. Which is why my son needed the helmet. If you want read my journal about my experience.. Also DO not attempt to do the stretches unless you are shown by a professional.. You obviously don't want to cause any damage. And in my sons case his neck muscle was too tight..

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1556785/9_weeks_later

jonmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Yes she has reflux but we have been giving her cereal for it though and its alot better. Now she hasn't been diagnosed for torticollis yet. So just in your opinion and looking at the pics do you think that she has it? Like I said she can turn it both ways she just likes the right side better.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

It can be a big deal if not taken care of early.  I have a few friends from my reflux group whos kiddos have this.  does your DD have reflux?  If so it needs to be controlled well for the exercises to work.  I would get to Pedi and request PT  Good Luck

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Chanelz
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM

my youngest son (who was born at 30 weeks) was diagnosed with it. He's fine now, but he was flat on one side of his head. It's rounded back out a little bit, but if you look at the back of his head, you can definitely tell. His doctor's had me turn his head from side to side til it lined up with his shoulders at every diaper change.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM

It could be you are catching it early.  Its hard to tell from the pics.  Refluxers get it from tightening the muscles because they are in pain. and kiddos learn really quickly to turn a certain way for them it helps the pain.  If you see a GI I would call them if you are still seeing just a PEDI deffinately bring it up asap.  I thought you already had DX.  Did the cereal get rid of all reflux symptoms? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)