• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he says, she says....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:25 PM
  • 16 Replies

yesterday, my eight-month-old finally cut her first tooth, and now bites me with it every time i nurse her, even though i say "don't bite mommy" and put her down each time. 

because of this, and the fact that i'm on a new anti-epileptic medication [long term effects on breastfed babies are unknown], my mom thinks i should start weaning dd ASAP.

but my neurologist, who took my off my previous meds because it can cause a baby's IQ to drop, says not to worry and to keep breastfeeding, even though she can't positively say that my new meds won't harm my baby.

So I am looking for some un-biased opinions...what do you think?  wean or stick it out for the whole year?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemymarine306
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:37 PM

i'll take any advice...

Shauna71904
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM

youd rather be safe then sorry... ween now and worry about helping her study later... i think she will be better off without the added medication

Shauna71904

and It makes me so happy for once to see a mom who actually took the initiative to be worried about the babies health... good job momma

Armywife2Justin

I say ween. Better to be Safe than Sorry

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Shauna71904:

youd rather be safe then sorry... ween now and worry about helping her study later... i think she will be better off without the added medication

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM

if i wasnt on any meds, i'd continue to do it. is there a way that you can stay off the meds, or no? if not, then i'd probably start weening- just to be safe.

fallen018
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Wean....breastfeeding is great, but not if you can cause some unknown effect to the baby...the risks might outweight the benefits of breastfeeding which is kind of the point for it besides the bonding..good luck.

kk_bella
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM

The majority of medications we take and give to our children and even take during pregnancy are those that we don't know the long term effects of.

But when it comes to breastfeeding, oh boy, I bet moms would freak the hell out.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM

If it were me?  I would wean immediately because you don't know.  better safe than sorry.  I am sorry I couldn't BF last baby and it was hard cause I had the other 3 but it was best for HER.  good Luck momma

themacs4
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM

If I wasn't sure that something wouldn't harm my baby, I wouldn't do it.  I would start weening if I were you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)