• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phoenix, Arizona Moms; New Mexico Moms; Austin, Texas Moms...ADVICE!!!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM
  • 20 Replies

My family and I are taking a small road trip from Los Angeles, CA to Buda, TX. Actually we're staying in San Marcos. Anyway, we'll be passing through Arizona, New Mexico and other parts of Texas. We want to make this as fun as possible for our kids, ages 21 months and 4 years old. What is there to do in your area?? Give me ideas, PLEASE!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krise
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM

ha. Tombstone is awesome to see and do, it's in Tucson. We have water parks, pretty much the same ol in any other town. Not BIG ticket fun park at all.. blah blah blah.... depending on what rout you take, The Grand Canyon is beautiful!

mz_erica03
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Will you be staying on the I-10?

ILive4This
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Tombstone is cool...we went on a 10 day trip to AZ and NM in Sept...but it's not IN Tucson...it's about about hour and a half southeast of there.  What route are you taking???  The Grand Canyon is north...Roswell in NM is a fun place to stop...not sure if the kids would dig it that much though...Carlsbad CAverns is south of that, and really cool...we saw the bats fly out at night...but the caves are pretty too.  In northern AZ is also Petrified Forest Nat'l park..and the painted desert...both cool things my kids liked

Quoting krise:

ha. Tombstone is awesome to see and do, it's in Tucson. We have water parks, pretty much the same ol in any other town. Not BIG ticket fun park at all.. blah blah blah.... depending on what rout you take, The Grand Canyon is beautiful!

Armywife2Justin
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I agree TombStone is fun, we have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old, and they both had fun. Also by there is Bisbee and its known as one of the most beautiful places in America. We've taken our kids there, and they seemed to have a good time. Also, theirs the Grand Canyon, but that might not be so fun for little ones.

mom2four1978
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM

San Marcos is the big town I go to to do all my shopping.  In san marcos there is Wonder World. And the glass bottom boat tours. Also if you love to shop you should hit the outlet mall, its the best one I've ever been to. I can' t really think of a whole lot to do there for such young kids, its a college town. Nearby is Canyon Lake, its beautiful right now. And Austin has the usual stuff, zoo, etc....

My biggest peice of adive is to have snacks and other things for your kids to do once you leave El Paso. We drove here from Las Vegas when we moved and there was like hours and hours of nothing once we left El Paso. Oh and make sure you pay attention to those last gas for _ miles signs.

~ LIZZY~

To find out what all the fuss is about click the heart:

kk_bella
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:05 PM

You really need to plan a route first, then look at the attractions on the way.

Delirium003
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I used to live in Tucson, AZ.  We took our boys to the Phoenix Zoo and Amazing Jakes.  Amazing Jakes is like a beefed up Chuck E Cheese.  The food is WAAAAAAAY better and the games are much more fun. Go to the website http://www.amazingjakes.com/  to see how huge it is. There are a few tiny rides (like a train and carousel), indoor go-karts, and a few bowling lanes.  Totally worth it!!

The zoo is nice, a LOT of walking.  Gotta go when its not 110+ though...the heat makes it unbearable!

monkeysmom21006
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Thanks for the tips! We're visiting a friend,  but she works during the day so we're going to be out and about A LOT.

Quoting mom2four1978:

San Marcos is the big town I go to to do all my shopping.  In san marcos there is Wonder World. And the glass bottom boat tours. Also if you love to shop you should hit the outlet mall, its the best one I've ever been to. I can' t really think of a whole lot to do there for such young kids, its a college town. Nearby is Canyon Lake, its beautiful right now. And Austin has the usual stuff, zoo, etc....

My biggest peice of adive is to have snacks and other things for your kids to do once you leave El Paso. We drove here from Las Vegas when we moved and there was like hours and hours of nothing once we left El Paso. Oh and make sure you pay attention to those last gas for _ miles signs.

monkeysmom21006
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Thanks! Yeah, heat and pregnancy don't really mix well lol.

Quoting Delirium003:

I used to live in Tucson, AZ.  We took our boys to the Phoenix Zoo and Amazing Jakes.  Amazing Jakes is like a beefed up Chuck E Cheese.  The food is WAAAAAAAY better and the games are much more fun. Go to the website http://www.amazingjakes.com/  to see how huge it is. There are a few tiny rides (like a train and carousel), indoor go-karts, and a few bowling lanes.  Totally worth it!!

The zoo is nice, a LOT of walking.  Gotta go when its not 110+ though...the heat makes it unbearable!

monkeysmom21006
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I'm leaving the navigation to SO. I know we're stopping in Phoenix and Tucson, the point of the trip is to see things and go places since we hardly ever travel. As for New Mexico, we might just pass through. My friend lives in Buda, TX but we couldn't find a hotel for cheap enough. :(

Quoting kk_bella:

You really need to plan a route first, then look at the attractions on the way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)