• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with BEES!!!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter and i are trying to play ouside but there are 2 different kind of bees bothering us.One (I think) is wasps and the other is wood bees, or carpenter bees. They're big and round. Almost like a beetle. I'm fairly sure they don't sting, but they're being very aggressive. They're diving at us and chasing us around. Not the wasps. Just the wood bees.

Anyways, does anyone have and tricks to keeping them away? I can't find a nest.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Just_Bethy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Bumping as my 8y/o is terrified and tips welcome here too...

norahsmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Ok, there are lots of different kinds of wasps and a few different kinds of bees. Are the big bees slow buzzy and fluffy looking?  If so they are bumble bees. They do sting  but very rarely. You would have to step on one or catch it in your and and try to squish it for it to sting you.  There are honey bees which I think we all know what those look like.  Those also sting, but they aren't generally agressive.  You leave them alone, they leave you alone.  Then there are hornets.  They look like bees but they fly faster, and their bodies are smooth. They also do not have pollen on their legs.  They ARE agressive and they can sting you many times.  So stay away from those.  Then there are wasps.  If its big and black and has long legs its most likely a mud dauber wasp and they are pretty layed back. 

Try wearing earth tones as bees like flowery colors.  don't go out smelling of perfume and dont bring out anything sweet

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

ILive4This
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Just be careful......we are already experiencing a honeybee shortage, as weird as it sounds.(colony collapse disorder)  We need bees, or we won't have food.  Don't go spraying them, unless you know what kind of bee they are first.  Dh has been looking into beekeeping.

Mom_2princesses
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Agreed. they are already talking about this in the news. the bee population is going down. Not a good situation.

Quoting ILive4This:

Just be careful......we are already experiencing a honeybee shortage, as weird as it sounds.(coloney collapse disorder)  We need bees, or we won't have food.  Don't go spraying them, unless you know what kind of bee they are first.  Dh has been looking into beekeeping.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Need a hairbow? Just message me!

Miranda427

I just Googled it, and read that toilet bowl cleaners (the kind that you hang on the rim of your toilet) keep bees away. It says that the bees don't like the smell and will stay away. It also says instead of removing all of the wrapper, to just open it slightly.

jillbailey26

I have the same problem.  I'd like to know too, lol.

ECMOM970
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM

IDK!!! Are you playing around a tree? Cause if so...and the tree is blooming that may be the issue!

okhsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Wood bees do not sting, but what a nuisance!  We tore out a deck and replaced it with treated lumber that isn't such an attractant.  Mud wasps aren't such a problem, but watch out for yellow jackets.

jessicer421
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Thanks! I'll try that! I have a fenced in area in my back yard to i'll just hang them on the backside of the fence so no one will see them. Thanks again!

Quoting Miranda427:

I just Googled it, and read that toilet bowl cleaners (the kind that you hang on the rim of your toilet) keep bees away. It says that the bees don't like the smell and will stay away. It also says instead of removing all of the wrapper, to just open it slightly.

jessicer421
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Thanks! There a few trees in the yard. I'm sure that could be it.

Quoting ECMOM970:

IDK!!! Are you playing around a tree? Cause if so...and the tree is blooming that may be the issue!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)