• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have your kids ever done this?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

just fount out today that my 6yr old stole gum from the store.  I am so mad! I'm not sure which store he took it from. I"m gonna ask him about it though when he gets home from school. It's not like I don't buy him anything. Anyone's kids ever took anything? I mean is this even normal, especially at 6yrs old, that seems a little too young.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
devasmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

When you find out which store it was, take him back with the gum (if he still has it)and make him explain to the manager or a cashier that he took the gum without paying for it. I know he is six, but if he has any allowance, make him give them the amount of the gum and still do not let him keep the gum.

If he does not have the gum, take him to the store and make him explain it to them anyway.

anna_mccall
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

it's normal. kids dont' realize it's stealing they just see something they want. I would make him take it back or if he ate it take him up there to apologize then see if they will let you pay for it.

excougarmama
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Yup it's fairly normal. Make him take it back and return it himself and apologize. Don't make the mistake of doing it for him.

funmommy123
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Yes, that's what I am planning on doing.

Quoting devasmom:

When you find out which store it was, take him back with the gum (if he still has it)and make him explain to the manager or a cashier that he took the gum without paying for it. I know he is six, but if he has any allowance, make him give them the amount of the gum and still do not let him keep the gum.

If he does not have the gum, take him to the store and make him explain it to them anyway.

funmommy123
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I"ve talked to him about stealing before and he seemed to understand. I don't know it makes me feel like i failed somewhere.

Quoting anna_mccall:

it's normal. kids dont' realize it's stealing they just see something they want. I would make him take it back or if he ate it take him up there to apologize then see if they will let you pay for it.

robsgurl_23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

my daughter she took candy out of that candy thing you pay a nickle for and put 2 pieces in her pocket..I saw her do that and asked what dod you just put in your pocket she showed me and I told her put it back..she didnt want to but she put it back and I told her how bad that was and ot was wrong to take candy with out asking me first and then putting it in your pocket..I also told her that is called stealing and if you do that when your older you can go to jail for stealing stuff from a store..I think she got it from when she would go to teh store with her gradnmother, her grandmother would get candy from that but didnt really pay attention to you have to put a nickle in the box before you take a piece. She hasnt done that since then.

anna_mccall
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM

you can talk to him until you're blue in the face, they don't think about that talk, they just think about what they're wanting. You didn't fail. Keep talking to him, it will eventually sink in. It's the best thing you can do.

Quoting funmommy123:

I"ve talked to him about stealing before and he seemed to understand. I don't know it makes me feel like i failed somewhere.

Quoting anna_mccall:

ItsMe89
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I wouldn't have him take it back- I would punish him some other way-

since a lot of stores have a 'zero tolerance' policy. They have to call the police no matter what.

gypsymama532
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM

yes, it's normal... but something that needs to be addressed, when my brothers shop lifted when they were little my mom took them into the store and had them talk to a security officer in uniform and the manager they thought they were going to jail (lol) but it did "scare them straight"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)