Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Retaining a child in school

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM
  • 5 Replies

Any other schools not do this?  My child has an IEP so we were concerned if our child was going to be ready to promote to second grade.  He will be ready but the principal said something I wasn't sure of.  She said even if the child is not ready to go to the next grade they will go ahead and promote the child because studies show a child will do worse if he's held back because of self esteem issues.  I just can't understand how it would be better to promote a child when he's not ready and can't do the work than to hold him back a grade so he can catch up.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bluesky51201
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Bump!

MommyCakesinTX
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I have read the studies and I am glad some schools are heeding the warning!  I agree, better to promote him with his peers and work with him on the areas he needs more help.

bluesky51201
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM

And I can agree to a point if the child is just a little behind it would make sense.  The way she was talking though is that no child (no matter how far behind they are) is retained.  If they are not doing things that were taught at the beginning of the year how can they essentially learn two grades at once?  He'll be teased more most likely because he'll be the last to finish, make lower grades, etc.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM

It is VERY, VERY, UNLIKELY that a school will retain a child with an IEP. It's hard to get students receiving no services retained. Where I teach you really have to bring about one strong case for retention. So many administrators are against it. I actually do have 1 who is approved for retention this year. Mom and Dad have been fighting really hard for it too though. I agree with them fully.

bluesky51201
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

It is VERY, VERY, UNLIKELY that a school will retain a child with an IEP. It's hard to get students receiving no services retained. Where I teach you really have to bring about one strong case for retention. So many administrators are against it. I actually do have 1 who is approved for retention this year. Mom and Dad have been fighting really hard for it too though. I agree with them fully.

Wow.  Just to put it out there, this wasn't for my son.  When he was diagnosed with autism late last year we asked if we had to worry and they said no.  His work is good and he has really done well since the IEP was put in place.  I was just curious about if he had to be held back would they do it?  I was shocked when she flat out said they don't retain children.  It seemed like if  a child really needed to be held back they still wouldn't do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)