Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW ARE OUR KIDS TREATED AT SCHOOL...WHEN NO PARENT IS PRESENT?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM
  • 5 Replies

On average, I eat lunch with my Elementary school age children twice a year...and for the past 5 years...every time has been REALLY uncomfortable watching the "lunch monitors" and these kids.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mrs.ramirez
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Out of every group of kids who ate while I sat with my daughter...every group only had 15 minutes to eat after standing in line for 5 minutes and then having their lunch cut by 10 minutes to quietly lay their heads on the lunch table for 10 minutes for silent time.

Ironically my daughter's class only layed their heads down for 1 minute...

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Quoting mrs.ramirez:

Out of every group of kids who ate while I sat with my daughter...every group only had 15 minutes to eat after standing in line for 5 minutes and then having their lunch cut by 10 minutes to quietly lay their heads on the lunch table for 10 minutes for silent time.

Sadly kids get NO TIME to eat. They only get 15 minutes at my school too, and about 10 outside. Although when they are made to do silent lunch, they are allowed to eat. They just have to remain quiet.

mrs.ramirez
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

1/3 of the lunch room was on silent lunch.

All these ladies did was YELL. And in a really mean tone.

I witnessed one girl raise her hand...say she forgot to grab a spoon...and the monitor huffed at her and say "well too bad".

My mouth fell.

mrs.ramirez
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

Quoting mrs.ramirez:

Sadly kids get NO TIME to eat. They only get 15 minutes at my school too, and about 10 outside. Although when they are made to do silent lunch, they are allowed to eat. They just have to remain quiet.

It was depressing seeing 3rd and 4th graders with shitloads of food still on their plates...shoveling food in their mouth while in the line to throw their food away...

mrs.ramirez
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Last year before I walked in the lunch room...you could hear the hall monitors scolding...and bitching and complaining before opening the doors...the kids were SILENT...

As soon as I walked in...I could FEEL them tense up...and their tones COMPLETELY changed...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)