Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why is cows' milk so important?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM
  • 26 Replies

why is it supposedly so important to give your child cow's milk after a year? It is not nearly as nutrient dense as goat's milk, and it isn't meant for humans, it is meant for cows, not that goats milk is meant for humans, but the nutrients in milk can be found in other places. One does not NEED to have milk for calcium, or for fat intake, which unless it is vitamin D enriched, is all there is in cows milk. I would much rather my child have rice or soy milk, and no, I am not vegetarian or vegan.

I am a...

Cloth diapering, Breast Feeding, Vaxxing, Crib Sleeping, Wiccan, Gay Rights Supporting, Outdoorsy, Crafty, Animal loving,  Girl Scout Supporting, College Educated, Army Wife, Other culture obsorbing, liberal,WAHM,To one beautiful baby girl.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babysyoungmom1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I have no idea. Goats milk is such a turnoff though. I couldnt drink dairy (pregnant) and someone suggested goat milk, so I guess im just not having milk at all.

Use it

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Yep, my daughter only has cow milk at daycare (organic that I buy) because it is required.

Quoting Gecko85:

why is it supposedly so important to give your child cow's milk after a year? It is not nearly as nutrient dense as goat's milk, and it isn't meant for humans, it is meant for cows, not that goats milk is meant for humans, but the nutrients in milk can be found in other places. One does not NEED to have milk for calcium, or for fat intake, which unless it is vitamin D enriched, is all there is in cows milk. I would much rather my child have rice or soy milk, and no, I am not vegetarian or vegan

With light and love

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Because it's better than soda?????

Search me, that's all I've got!  As long as the kid is getting adequate calcium and Vitamin D and phosphorous and fat (and all those other goodies) from other sources, give them whatever.

Gecko85
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM

have you tried soy or rice milk? I personally HATE cows milk, and have for my whole life, but I love the taste of vanilla soymilk and or rice milk.

Quoting babysyoungmom1:

I have no idea. Goats milk is such a turnoff though. I couldnt drink dairy (pregnant) and someone suggested goat milk, so I guess im just not having milk at all.

purramybaby
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

My son never drinks cow's milk.  he only drinks soy and my Pediatrician thinks it's great.  He has some dairy, like a little ice cream for a treat, but I don't think he needs to drink milk "X" number of times a day.  It makes no sense to me to drink cow's milk, but that's just me.  To each his own

Gecko85

Really? I would not put up with that. What if you were a vegan family, or if she was lactose intolerant?

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Yep, my daughter only has cow milk at daycare (organic that I buy) because it is required.

Quoting Gecko85:

why is it supposedly so important to give your child cow's milk after a year? It is not nearly as nutrient dense as goat's milk, and it isn't meant for humans, it is meant for cows, not that goats milk is meant for humans, but the nutrients in milk can be found in other places. One does not NEED to have milk for calcium, or for fat intake, which unless it is vitamin D enriched, is all there is in cows milk. I would much rather my child have rice or soy milk, and no, I am not vegetarian or vegan

marshsmom

I LOVE cows milk!  SO does my son...yummmmy!

ready_for2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM

it is not important. soy milk is also not as good as everyone thinks it is. for one thing, all soybeans are genetically modified. soy also has things in it that mimic hormones such as estrogen.

hemp milk is the most nutritious and healthy milk (also no known allergies) im also a big fan of almond milk! (though most of the nutrients in it are artificially added)

babysyoungmom1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Quoting Gecko85:

have you tried soy or rice milk? I personally HATE cows milk, and have for my whole life, but I love the taste of vanilla soymilk and or rice milk.

Quoting babysyoungmom1:

It's beat to try after the baby. I tried soy once but once you've had one thing for so long everything else is an aquirred taste knwim?

Gecko85
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I have no idea where one can get hemp milk, and have never tried almond milk, but it is possible to buy organic soymilk, which is not genetically modified.

nevermind, I looked it up http://www.amazon.com/Living-Harvest-Hemp-Original-32-Ounce/dp/B001HTNCJ4. that is expensive. I would try it though.

Quoting ready_for2:

it is not important. soy milk is also not as good as everyone thinks it is. for one thing, all soybeans are genetically modified. soy also has things in it that mimic hormones such as estrogen.

hemp milk is the most nutritious and healthy milk (also no known allergies) im also a big fan of almond milk! (though most of the nutrients in it are artificially added)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)