Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ALLERGIC TO WATER? IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM
  • 30 Replies

So for the past 6 months my 3 year old daughter breaks out into a rash that is sporadic all over her body.  It had cleared up for a while but the other night we put her into the bathtub with just water, no soap or anything JUST WATER and when she got out she had this rash that was splotchy on different parts of her body.  she did not have it before she got in the bath, so I am wondering if any of your children have ever gotten a rash from being in the water, with nothing else in the water?

By the way, it happens to her sometimes when she goes in her pool, again no chemicals, just water...

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housefullofkidz
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

What do you clean your tub with?Is it possible to maybe have some chemical residue still on the tub?

Stacylynn0610
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I saw a girl on the Tyra show that was allergic to water.  She would break out in a rash everytime she showered.

klynn80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Yes a person can be allergic to water, but it's extremely rare.  Here's an MSN Health article for you.  http://health.msn.com/health-topics/allergies/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100154510

Like the other mama said, might be a chemical residue from the tub. 

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Is it water straight out of the tap?  Because if so, it has chemicals.  They chlorinate most city water to kill bacteria.  There's also flouride added to most water for your teeth.  And she MIGHT be getting residue from your soap that you clean the tub with???

Get one of those water purifiers for the faucet and see if it helps.  And use vinegar and baking soda to clean the tub - it works like MAGIC!  My son licks EVERYTHING, so we switched, and OMG!  Dirt cheap and better cleaning than the soaps!  GL!

(And no, you can't be allergic to pure water.  She'd literally be dead - 70% of the human body is water.  She'd be allergic to herself.)

JANEDOE5683
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Quoting housefullofkidz:

What do you clean your tub with?Is it possible to maybe have some chemical residue still on the tub?

I clean it with Lysol but then run HOT water in the tub for like 15 minutes...and it happens in the pool as well.  A pool that u buy from the store, so no chemicals in it either.

retsillacam
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I saw this on medical incredible.So yes it's possible.

babysyoungmom1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Quoting Stacylynn0610:

I saw a girl on the Tyra show that was allergic to water.  She would break out in a rash everytime she showered.

Im watching that now :)

LCWAmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Quoting JANEDOE5683:

Quoting housefullofkidz:

I clean it with Lysol but then run HOT water in the tub for like 15 minutes...and it happens in the pool as well.  A pool that u buy from the store, so no chemicals in it either.

its probably the chlorine in your tap water i know here in the summer they shock the watetr and when i run a bath it smells like a swimming pool GAG we drink bottled water

Imaddge3.jpg picture by JanieBoBanie

oboe_chik
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I would say it something in the water she is allergic to. Or chemical residu on the tub.

Did you or are you working full time, juggling kids, a career and who knows what else? If so click on the picture to share your stories!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)