Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want Easter to feel left out...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM
  • 30 Replies

I'm sure you all know that Eastre is the Anglo-Saxon goddess of springtime and offspring who's earthly symbol was the rabbit, and that the pagans had been decorating eggs [a symbol of birth] for centuries before the Christians arrived and made the festival of Eastre into what it is now....the resurrection of Christ.

So, do you celebrate Easter?  Does the pagan symbolism bother you?  If you are a pagan, does the Christian symbolism bother you?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshlor2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:35 PM

we just have a family day ,and let the kids hunt eggs...this year we will follow the egg hunt with How to train your dragon in 3D and dinner out

nothing bothers me there are 2 sides to almost every story

amazingaudri

I celebrate Christs resurection, but I LOVE a good easter egg hunt!

hatinnd

Thank you for bringing that up.  I was trying to think of the Pagan holiday that got turned into easter...

KristaP13
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:36 PM

None of it bothers me. I'm an Atheist. We celebrate holidays for fun in this house LOL

I do like to know the origins though, because when dd is old enough, I will be teaching her where the holiday traditions we do came from. So thanks :)

klynn80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM

We don't celebrate it, once we have kids old enough for it I'm sure we'll do egg hunts and baskets and such.  I celebrated last night by eating the head off a chocolate bunny if that counts.  It was a Godiva chocolate bunny too, so it was awesome.

hatinnd
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Quoting klynn80:

We don't celebrate it, once we have kids old enough for it I'm sure we'll do egg hunts and baskets and such.  I celebrated last night by eating the head off a chocolate bunny if that counts.  It was a Godiva chocolate bunny too, so it was awesome.

OMG   I hope you killed it first?

*         DO NOT buy a car from Tommy Denic of Palatine or Roselle, IL.  You can see why on my page.....  Or visit youtube: keyword (tdenic)    Help me save others from this misery...

MommaClark3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I consider myself a Christian, and don't see why the history should bother anyone... half the time we have so many freaking holidays they all end up meaning a butt load of car sales ads in the news paper... LMAO

If people get their panties in a bunch over what others believe they have bigger issues than what those people believe!

MommaClark3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Break out the chocolate bunnies!!! And pass around the Peeps! ... and a fork and lighter? Turn those suckers into smores

klynn80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

lol he was long dead :o)  I was totally going to wait till Sunday to eat him, but the baby wanted it, yeah, the baby wanted the bunny haha!

Quoting hatinnd:

Quoting klynn80:

OMG   I hope you killed it first?

CafeMom Tickers
stefvan
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

We celebrate the resurrection of Christ.  We also do baskets for the kids.  We're leaving for Disney on Easter and this will be the 1st Easter I haven't been in church.  I told my dh I was finding a service somewhere!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)