Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just want to effin sleep!!!! What should I do?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

2yr old ss has been having sleep issues for the past 2 weeks. He wakes up at 6am, refuses to take naps, and we put him to bed at 7:30 but he stays awake until 2am!!!

We have tried everything it seems. Here's my list of failed things

1. Read him to sleep
2. Sing song
3. lay down with him
4. Lay him down with the door closed (this generally results in him screaming under the door)
5. Lay him down with the door open... he will lay there wide awake
6. Nightlights
7. TV was a last resort attempt
8. Taking him on a long drive
9. Taking him on a short drive
10. Stuffed animals and security blankets
11. Water bottle by his bed
12. Rocking him
13. Warm bath with that johnsons goodnight bathwash

And many other techniques to boot...

Nothing works. If we let him CIO, he won't stop crying. If we leave the door open, he will lay on his bed wide awake until about 2am.

We all try to go to bed around the same time. Generally he would go to bed around 7:30 and we would be in bed around 9 or 10pm. But the last couple weeks, bedtime has turned into him stay awake most of the night, getting up early, and not taking naps. There have been no major changes.... he never gets a bottle at night, was never addicted to pacifiers.... He gets PLENTY of exercise and play time...

BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I CANNOT GET HIM TO SLEEP!!!! NOT EVEN WITH ONE OF US ADULTS IN THE ROOM WITH HIM! I just need some sleep!!!!

Help? Advice?

Funny quote Pictures, Images and PhotosQuote Pictures, Images and Photos

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dingleberries
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

bump? anyone?

marshsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Have you spoken with his ped?  How do you feel about co-sleeping?  He may sleep well if he is next to someone sleeping, KWIM?

marshsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I just had another thought.  What is his diet like during the day?  Is it possible that he is eating something that is causing him to have lots of energy?

Dingleberries
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:05 PM

his dr's say theres nothing wrong with him and we are against co sleeping. In the past, it didn't work (me and SO are huge bed hogs and we toss too much).  Plus, our bed is not for children. It's our only child free zone in the house.

Quoting marshsmom:

Have you spoken with his ped?  How do you feel about co-sleeping?  He may sleep well if he is next to someone sleeping, KWIM?

mommyziegler
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM

i would say it's benadryl time lol j/k not sure but good luck mama

lilay
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:07 PM

My 2 year old went through a phase like that and I gave up. I just started giving her a bunch of books and a couple toys and letting her play herself to sleep, after I read her a story. She knows she has to stay in bed or everything gets taken away. 

McKs0820
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM

What's so wrong with him laying in his bed wide awake? Put a gate up so he can't get out of his room and go to sleep. If he stays in his room and in his bed I don't see why you can't just leave him if he isn't crying.

Dingleberries
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM

diet... its not much different than anyone elses. He gets fed at 7am usually a bowl of cereal. We don't buy sugary cereals so its like cheerios or corn flakes. 2% milk. Lunch is generally a sandwhich with fresh fruit. Snack is usually crackers and cheese. And dinner is always typical. You get a peice of the meat thats equivalant to the palm of your hand, 2 sides of veggies,  side of fresh fruit, and 1 glass of milk.  The meat size thing is to keep food costs down and to promote more veggie eating.

He generally ALWAYS eat his food.

Quoting marshsmom:

I just had another thought.  What is his diet like during the day?  Is it possible that he is eating something that is causing him to have lots of energy?

Dingleberries
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

sleep deprived 2yr olds cause for a lot of crankiness. That and I'd feel guilty going to bed with the thought of him being awake and left unattended

Quoting McKs0820:

What's so wrong with him laying in his bed wide awake? Put a gate up so he can't get out of his room and go to sleep. If he stays in his room and in his bed I don't see why you can't just leave him if he isn't crying.

marshsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I guess if the doc says nothing is wrong and his diet is healthy it's probably just a phase.  My son has these phses, but we co-sleep and I usually just put him in bed and put on one of his movies.  He does go to sleep eventually, I just stick to the routine.  After dinner is playtime, then bath then reading then bed.  I've also been known to put him off onto my husband who somehow manages to get plenty of sleep on every other night :) 

Quoting Dingleberries:

diet... its not much different than anyone elses. He gets fed at 7am usually a bowl of cereal. We don't buy sugary cereals so its like cheerios or corn flakes. 2% milk. Lunch is generally a sandwhich with fresh fruit. Snack is usually crackers and cheese. And dinner is always typical. You get a peice of the meat thats equivalant to the palm of your hand, 2 sides of veggies,  side of fresh fruit, and 1 glass of milk.  The meat size thing is to keep food costs down and to promote more veggie eating.

He generally ALWAYS eat his food.

Quoting marshsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)