Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New puppy....about to go back! HELP

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM
  • 45 Replies

We bought an absolutely adorable 9 week old German Shepherd puppy for our girls as an early easter present. We cannot, for the lives of ourselves, get the puppy to go poop outside!! we will walk around with her, let her sniff around, for 20 minutes, she'll pee, and not 5 minutes after we go inside she poops!! any ideas please?!!!?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTo2Boys2526
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM

bump

mymaddiegrl2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM

this could get real ugly. umm its just a puppy and you need to have some patience.

Aislinn

You are not giving her enough time outside. I would give her closer to 30-40 minutes. I know its hard, but it works.

rg87

No ideas, sorry.

joshlor2

stay outside longer...I can't be of much help since we got a puppy a few weeks ago and it seems as though she holds it until we all go to bed then poops all over her "room" it is driving me crazy

klynn80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Keep her out longer, take her out soon after eating, and stay out and praise when she does go where she's supposed to.  She's 9 weeks old, give her a break, dogs aren't born trained.

marshsmom

You should join the Dog Lovers group.  They can help!

psychessun

crate train. 

get a book or google housebreaking dogs.

don't expect her to be good at going potty too soon, she might not be relialbe until six months old.

they're like kids, they all train at different rates.  I have a female GSD, and she trained very quickly.  just be consistent.

haileysmom2833

He is only 9 weeks old, that is why.  He is still just a puppy!!  House breaking a puppy can take months.  Our lab was about 6 or 7 months old before he could go all day without pooping or peeing in the house.  Keep doing what you are doing, but also get puppy pads for inside.  Once he uses them, start moving it closer and closer to the door.  Then, put it ourside the door, so he gets the idea.  it is a long process sometimes.  Keep at it!! :)

kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

pick up the poop and take it outside so she can smell it and know that is where she is supposed to poop, but be patient. Most dogs have a really hard time being house broke until the are at least 12 weeks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)