• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you were raised poor but have money now

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM
  • 22 Replies

are you more conscious about how you spend your money due to learning the value of a dollar? or do you spend  it as you wish you cant take it with you?

come join a warm fuzz group http://www.cafemom.com/group/109014

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momathome4k
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:55 PM

alittle of both...

klynn80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I wasn't raised poor, and I'm not poor now, but by no means rich.  I'm still cognizant of where every dime goes, it's how my dad raised us, money comes with responsibility, no matter how much you have.

hatinnd
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Wish I had it in me to spend without a guilty conscience!

*         DO NOT buy a car from Tommy Denic of Palatine or Roselle, IL.  You can see why on my page.....  Or visit youtube: keyword (tdenic)    Help me save others from this misery...

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

We weren't raised on fs/pa, but money was tight being there were 7 members in our family. My parents tried telling us to stick back and save for hard times. I've been through hard times with my husband getting injured in a wreck in 2004. We are still learning how to manage on less. So, we don't splurge like we used to. we pay what we have to to stay afloat. Knowing how fast things can change, we try and prepare ourselves for what might be in the future.

audriesmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM

We were not poor as kids and I am not now but we are pretty tight with our money.  We make sure a certain amount goes in savings and other accounts before we spend anything.  My parents are good with their money and have taught my sisters and I a lot.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Me too girl! I feel guilty buying a stick of chap stick when I need it. That is how closely we have to watch our spending.

Quoting hatinnd:

Wish I had it in me to spend without a guilty conscience!

mymaddiegrl2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM

same here what little you do you it is definately wise to keep hold never know about this future.

Quoting night.magic:

We weren't raised on fs/pa, but money was tight being there were 7 members in our family. My parents tried telling us to stick back and save for hard times. I've been through hard times with my husband getting injured in a wreck in 2004. We are still learning how to manage on less. So, we don't splurge like we used to. we pay what we have to to stay afloat. Knowing how fast things can change, we try and prepare ourselves for what might be in the future.

come join a warm fuzz group http://www.cafemom.com/group/109014

chabb
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I was not raisied poor and I am not poor now.  i dont watch my spending cause i want my daughter to have whatever she wants and be able to experience things.  plus its only money there are always ways to make more

amberdhall
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I was raised poor and have decent money now. I am definately not rich tho. I have priorities then we play from there. we save to purchase items with cash. The only thing we have a note on is our home. we have a goal to have at least 6 months of bills in the account at all times. The main things we spend our money on is food and movies. We eat out way more often then we should and I ALWAYS have milk and cereal. MANY boxes of cereal! lol. we never had milk or cereal growing up because it was too expensive. My mom never recieved food stamps, not because we didnt qualify but because she didnt feel like we needed it. even tho we were homeless many times!  lol.  

so overall i think we have a good balance, but too spend on some thing a little more than we should. :)

SweetDreamsBaby
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I wasn't raised poor and I'm not poor now. I come from a very wealthy family and I feel very blessed. I always pray for others to do better and hope for the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)