Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I REALLY NEED DISCIPLINE ADVICE...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM
  • 25 Replies

my son is 22 months old and he is so bad. i have no idea what to do. i've tried everything, except spanking (which i will not resort to). for example, last night he was banging on our big screen tv. i went over to him and in a stern voice i told him "do NOT hit the tv anymore or you will go in time out". he just sits there and laughs in my face.  he went right back and did it again. staring at me, laughing, and punching the tv. so i grabbed him and put him in time out on the stairs. he sat there until i turned around. i put him back four times before i gave up. the fact that he is laughing in my face the whole time makes it 20 times more irritating. he went right back to the tv again after getting out of time out. it's like time out fuels him. he thinks it's just a game or something. he does shit like this over and over again ALL THE TIME. i get so pissed that i eventually just end up yelling at him, which he thinks is funny too... so, i need to try some new techniques. advice?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JJJMommyKris
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:10 PM

idk but i would like to know too...bump for you

okhsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM

In the situation you just described, I think redirecting is your best bet.  Help him find things he *can* do rather than things he can't.  Easier said than done, I know.  Sometimes Supernanny has helpful advice (although I'm not into her timeout techniques).  I also happen to thing kids and puppies are trained similarly.  It's Me or the Dog might be helpful, love that Victoria Stilwell.  Ok, kidding about that.  Are you in a positive parenting group here on CM? 

activitymode
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Keep doing time outs.  As annoying as it is to keep doing it just do it.  Eventually he will get it at some point.  My ds is the same age and just like that...

maxensmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Quoting okhsmom:

In the situation you just described, I think redirecting is your best bet.  Help him find things he *can* do rather than things he can't.  Easier said than done, I know.  Sometimes Supernanny has helpful advice (although I'm not into her timeout techniques).  I also happen to thing kids and puppies are trained similarly.  It's Me or the Dog might be helpful, love that Victoria Stilwell.  Ok, kidding about that.  Are you in a positive parenting group here on CM? 

super nanny is where i got the whole idea from about getting down to his level, placing him in time out.... it's pointless when he is laughing in my face the whole time though. if i wait for him to finish laughing at me, it's too late to tell him not to hit the tv because he's probably already forgotten about it. i've tried just ignoring his behavior and it just makes him bang harder. i think redirection is a little bit too young for him. he doesn't fall for it anymore.  :(

and no i'm not in the group. is it a good one?

okhsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Quoting maxensmom:

Quoting okhsmom:

super nanny is where i got the whole idea from about getting down to his level, placing him in time out.... it's pointless when he is laughing in my face the whole time though. if i wait for him to finish laughing at me, it's too late to tell him not to hit the tv because he's probably already forgotten about it. i've tried just ignoring his behavior and it just makes him bang harder. i think redirection is a little bit too young for him. he doesn't fall for it anymore.  :(

and no i'm not in the group. is it a good one?

My kids are older than your LO so I'm not in a group for moms with young kids, but I bet you can ask around and find one.  I bet your son looks adorable when he is pushing your buttons.  Hope you find a solution.

maxensmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM

hahaha. yeah i'm sure he does...   devil

maxensmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:37 PM

bump

maxensmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

cafemom really sucks when you actually need parenting tips

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

the only thing that works for my ds is to put him in his room.  He was the same as your ds, would laugh at me and jack around.  I started putting him in his room for time out he freaking hates it!  When he gets out of his room, he does not repeat bad behavior!

Jcorris
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I wish I could help you.. my oldest was the same way. Time outs became pointless when he started putting himself there because he thought it was fun. I never found a way to get through to him. He just eventually grew up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)