Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

time outs

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

Started using time outs with my toddler. It's been a while since my older children had time outs.

Do you use time outs?

If so how many do you think you give in a day?

The age of your child?

How long do you let them sit?

Where do you give the time out?

What do you do after the time is up?

If they are screaming does the time spent count?

What other 'methods' do you use along with time out?

~ I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe ~

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Yes I'll use them on my 3 yo occasionally. She gets 3 minutes against the wall, and is expected to apologize when her time out is done.

starrymonkey
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM

We have a short list of house rules on a piece of poster board.  Each time one of these rules is broken, DS gets a time-out.  We bought a cheap kitchen timer, and set it up near his time out chair (in the corner away from everything).  His time out starts when he's calm (a lot of the time he ends up in time out for something he's done in the middle of a fit - like throwing), and he has to sit in the chair for 2 minutes - until the timer goes off.  When the timer goes off I get down eye level, ask him calmly if he's done, then we hug, I hand him my hand and he can get up from his chair.

Some days are really good (we only had two time outs today), some days are so bad I forgo the chair all together, send his butt to his room, and make him sit on his bed alone until he's ready to "behave like a human".  

CafeMom Tickers

Proud mom to a Sensational kid with SPD

As a WAHM, I can help you change your physical and financial future!  Ask me how!

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/desireepurvis/

honeyrder
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Dad always likes to say that his father would take "time out" of his busy day to beat his ass.

honeyrder
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Quoting starrymonkey:

We have a short list of house rules on a piece of poster board.  Each time one of these rules is broken, DS gets a time-out.  We bought a cheap kitchen timer, and set it up near his time out chair (in the corner away from everything).  His time out starts when he's calm (a lot of the time he ends up in time out for something he's done in the middle of a fit - like throwing), and he has to sit in the chair for 2 minutes - until the timer goes off.  When the timer goes off I get down eye level, ask him calmly if he's done, then we hug, I hand him my hand and he can get up from his chair.

Some days are really good (we only had two time outs today), some days are so bad I forgo the chair all together, send his butt to his room, and make him sit on his bed alone until he's ready to "behave like a human".  

My mom would tell us not to come out until we could "behave like decent human beings".

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I started about a year old when she understood the word no.  A minute per year of age.   I would do it as many times as she misbehaved since consistency is crucial. Some days it was 5-10 times, other days it was once or twice.  She is 4 now and usually one time out sets her straight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)