• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever been told this before? (pregnancy and weight related)

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:03 PM
  • 39 Replies

I had my first doc appointment today. I've gained 20 lbs since I had my son in January of '09. My doc told me NOT to gain any weight this pregnancy. She gave me ideas on how to eat healthier and told me to start walking, but I don't understand how I'm not suppose to gain weight with a growing baby inside me.

I'm also being tested for gestational diabetes in 2 weeks. I thought I wasn't suppose to do that test until 7 months, but the doc thinks I'm at risk for it.

Anyone else ever been told NOT to gain weight before?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
pregnancy calendar
Gender PredictionGet your own gender prediction!
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amom4BabyDude
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM

No but I always get yelled at for gaining too much.  How much do you weigh now?  That may be why they said that.

SassyPainter
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Honestly, I don't think that's such a good idea, but.....

It's kind of a controversial issue right now.  I would exercise, but I wouldn't expect not to gain weight.

petersgal
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Before I started losing weight with this pregnancy my Dr and I talked about how to gain 0-10 pounds.... I didn't want to gain any weight during this pregnancy b/c I am overweight to begin with.  There have actually been several studies in the last couple years showing that for moms that are overweight/obese and/or have GD to begin with it could be safer for mom and baby if the mom gains no weight.

Anyway, I think between walking and eating healthy, watching what you eat and not adding any extra calories to "eat for two" should allow the baby to just take what it needs from you..  Basically, if you don't gain any weight during pregnancy, your body will technically lose 10-14 pounds, b/c that weight is the baby and water and extra blood

We are in the same due date group, and if you ever want to add me to talk about food stuff,  I have some great recipes and ideas on how to accomplish what your dr wants since that was my original goal.  I still don't want to be any heavier when I have this baby than my pre-pregnancy weight ....

myouroboros
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

You should find a new doctor.  Unless you just misunderstood her or something.  That is plain stupidity! Everyone, whether or not you are overweight to begin with, needs to gain weight during pregnancy!

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

This.  Although I gained 30 lbs with each of my first two kids (and lost it all as soon as I gave birth, so it was clearly baby weight) so I'd lose around 30 lbs if I did that.  Technically, I can afford to, but the doc hasn't ordered me to, so I'll just gain weight like normal and then lose the extra weight later (from pre pregnancy).

Quoting petersgal:

Before I started losing weight with this pregnancy my Dr and I talked about how to gain 0-10 pounds.... I didn't want to gain any weight during this pregnancy b/c I am overweight to begin with.  There have actually been several studies in the last couple years showing that for moms that are overweight/obese and/or have GD to begin with it could be safer for mom and baby if the mom gains no weight.

Anyway, I think between walking and eating healthy, watching what you eat and not adding any extra calories to "eat for two" should allow the baby to just take what it needs from you..  Basically, if you don't gain any weight during pregnancy, your body will technically lose 10-14 pounds, b/c that weight is the baby and water and extra blood

We are in the same due date group, and if you ever want to add me to talk about food stuff,  I have some great recipes and ideas on how to accomplish what your dr wants since that was my original goal.  I still don't want to be any heavier when I have this baby than my pre-pregnancy weight ....

myouroboros
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Hmmm, guess I spoke too soon.  I haven't heard about these studies.  Guess its time for google.  I just can't see how it could be healthy for baby to not gain ANY weight.

Quoting petersgal:

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Not really.  My sister had Hyperemesis with my niece and lost weight.  She was overweight to begin with and she had a perfect, healthy 6 lb baby (and 4 oz, I think).  They just did extra u/s to make sure that the baby got enough nutrients.  She did, so everything was fine.

Quoting myouroboros:

You should find a new doctor.  Unless you just misunderstood her or something.  That is plain stupidity! Everyone, whether or not you are overweight to begin with, needs to gain weight during pregnancy!

Abutcher
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Well I think when your pregnant it's pretty much impossible to NOT gain any weight-lol. You will gain weight from the fluid, placenta, baby, extra quarts of blood. Iam assuming she is telling you not to gain anymore then 15lbs which is about what everything weighs inside. I wish Good Luck. It's not impossible but it will be hard, but you can do it!! :)

jenniepepsi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

it is impossible to NOT gain weight!!!

the baby and the amniotic fluid/sac and the breast is the weight you gain. you cant NOT gain that and have a healthy baby at the same time!

jenniepepsi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM

she still gained weight. she gained the baby, breasts, and amniotic fluid and placenta that was not there before. that is extra weight. it sounds more like she lost some of HER weight in the process of gaining the baby and accessorys weight.

Quoting ShadowLark:

Not really.  My sister had Hyperemesis with my niece and lost weight.  She was overweight to begin with and she had a perfect, healthy 6 lb baby (and 4 oz, I think).  They just did extra u/s to make sure that the baby got enough nutrients.  She did, so everything was fine.

Quoting myouroboros:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)