Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question about going to the doctor

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter has had a fever for almost three days now...it's been roughly 101.9 up until a few hours ago and now it's 103.1.

I called the nurse and they said that if she has the fever tomorrow to bring her in but it's fine not to bring her in tonight.

My question is would wait like the nurse said, or just bring her in right now?  My co-pay for Urgent care is the same as the doctor office so it's no big deal.
I would rather be safe than sorry, but I always feel like a complete dumbass when I bring my kids in there, because there is usually nothing wrong! 

What would you do?

Oh and she is 7 months old.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melly726
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM

how old is she? Is she still eating/ drinking? Is tylenol and motrin helping?

Personally I would wait it out. If the nurse thought it was serious enough she would have directed you to seek help before tomorrow.

yayay15
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM

She is 7 months old and she is nursing but not eating solids and she is just grumpy.  Tylenol brings it down but it's still feverish.....

I agree about the nurse thing too but everyone else keeps telling me to go!

Quoting melly726:

how old is she? Is she still eating/ drinking? Is tylenol and motrin helping?

Personally I would wait it out. If the nurse thought it was serious enough she would have directed you to seek help before tomorrow.


usafwife314
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

When did she pee last?

yayay15
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I just changed a wet diaper about an hour ago.

Quoting usafwife314:

When did she pee last?


AngelicaRenee
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

If you're worried I would go in. Back in October my son was sick and I called to make an appointment and the nurse told me he just had the bug that was going around and she could tell me how to treat it over the phone (which would have been tylenol/motrin)

I told her no and that I wanted him to be seen. He ended up having pneuomonia. (not saying your daughter has that, just rather be safe than sorry)

I'm so glad I didn't listen to the nurse and try to treat something that she can't diagnose over the phone and just been waiting letting the pneuomonia get worse.

Quoting yayay15:

She is 7 months old and she is nursing but not eating solids and she is just grumpy.  Tylenol brings it down but it's still feverish.....

I agree about the nurse thing too but everyone else keeps telling me to go!

Quoting melly726:

how old is she? Is she still eating/ drinking? Is tylenol and motrin helping?

Personally I would wait it out. If the nurse thought it was serious enough she would have directed you to seek help before tomorrow.



avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM

What are her other symptoms? Is it just a fever or does she have a cough too? My 4 month old ran fevers like your dd for three days then spiked up to 103.7 one night. We could bring it down to 101.7 with tylenol, but couldn't get it any lower. He also had a cough. Turns out he had RSV. I would say if you are that concerned, just take her in. Better to be safe then sorry.

jothra
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM

If the meds are bringing it down, I would just watch her. I got concerned that DS's temp wasn't coming all the way down and my ped explained that the body resets it's temp kinda at a higher level when you are sick to help fight off the infection. But DS would get down to 99ish. It's up to you, you need to do what you think is best for your child.

savannahs1mom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

If she is acting fine and eating and drinking I wouldnt qworry so much but if not then Id take her in..like you said its not a big deal to go to urgent care and if that would ease your mind then do it.

boosmom440
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

 103 is way to high for a 7 month old

melly726
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Does she have any other symptoms? As long as she is nursing and it doesn't get super high its fine to wait. Try other measures to keep it down, if you haven't already. If she stops nursing or isn't making wet diapers you may want to take her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)