Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please keep my nephew in your thoughts and prayers *Update 9*

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM
  • 61 Replies

I just got a phone call that today my nephew went in for his 5 yr Well Child Checkup and one of his testicles were swollen. They sent him to the hospital immediately for an ultrasound and there was a mass. He is about to go into surgery to remove the testicle and will do a Cat scan to make sure it hasnt spread. Of course we wont know the results of the biopsy for I guess a couple days. I feel horrible that I cant be there with him but will be there in about a month unless it has spread or the biopsy comes back bad. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

* Got to talk to him on the phone before he went into surgery. He is in high spirits, laughing, and playing. He asked me if I was coming to spend the night, which broke my heart.

* He just got out of surgery and it is cancer. They are doing the ct scan in the morning to make sure it didnt spread. Not for sure on the details but they are going to start chemo soon.

* Just got more info. They removed the testicle and the tumor.. it went all the way to his kidney. The dr said he thinks he removed it all. Tomorrow they go for the scan to make sure they did get it all and to make sure it didnt get into his lymph nodes. They are pretty sure it is cancer but I guess the urologist cant have the final say on that. They said he should start chemo next week. I should know more tomorrow.

*Thank you so much everyone! BTW I got the urologist part wrong.. the urologist didnt do the surger and is the one who has to say for sure bc of liability. However, the doctor that did the surgery is pretty sure thats what it is.

Sorry its hard getting the info straight over the phone. My mother sugar coats everything and my sister exaggerates. I dont want to bug my brother bc he is going through alot right now. I did talk to someone I know will tell exactly whats going on.

Again thank you ladies for the support. 

* Pathology came back and it is for sure cancer. They just took him back for the ct scan.

* Got the ct back and it doesnt look like it spread. However, there is a cyst in his abdomen. They said it looked good but are going to check it out just in case.

* The last update came from my mother (the sugar coater that leaves out info)... this came straight from my brother (the father of this child).......they found a mass and an enlarged lymph node from the ct...we are still in the hospital get to go home tomorrow...have to come back Tuesday, back for surgery...biopsy and removal of the mass...bone marrow biopsy and MAYBE putting the portacath in his chest for chemo

* He had his 2nd surgery yesterday. They are stil pretty sure the 2nd mass was just a cyst, they removed it but it was attached to his intestin and bowel so they had to remove a small part of both so he will be on a feeding tube for 4 days. They took the bone marrow and removed the swollen lymph node. We should know the pathology on all of them in a few days. They also put in his portacath and they will start chemo in about 5 days. They said he will be in the hospital for about a week and a half this time. Thats all I can remember for now.

* Results from the cyst and bone marrow came back normal. The tumor that was originally removed was stage 1 but they found microscopic cells spreading so they are treating him as stage 2. He will go through 6 months chemo and radiation after 12 weeks. He had his first round of chemo yesterday and got sick but is doing better today. He also got to go home. Also the cancer they removed was Embrynal Rhabdomyosarcoma.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reecenkaden
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM

prayingbump

TabbyKat2008
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM

bump

staceysgorbach
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Really,there are no words you can say to ease someone's mind in situations like this except, i hope and pray that everything turns out okay! We will keep him in our prayers and your family that this lil guy pulls through just fine!

mama2conor
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I'll keep him in my thoughts. Hope all goes well!

De_Chick
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Wow I'm so sorry. This happened to my hubs nephew several years ago too and he's been okay since.

MBargie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM

That poor boy. I hope his surgery goes well and they get it all.

SuperPookie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Prayers for your nephew. I hope he is o.k.

TabbyKat2008
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:56 AM

bump

Martina70
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM

OMG- I am so sorry to read this. I hope and pray they got everything and that it is NOT cancer but if it is the treatments work.

jothra
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I am so sorry for your family =( I hope they got it all. Your family is in my thoughts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)