Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i tell my 3year old this?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM
  • 19 Replies

well let me start by saying that my son was born with a hypospadias(he would pee to the side)  he had surgery on it when he was 5 months old. well we went today for a check up on it and now the hole is to small so they need to fix that. his surgery is in 1 month.  how do i tell my 3 year old that he has to have surgery on his pee pee?  what if he ask me if its going to hurt.  im sure it will hurt him after.     when the DR told us this today i was kinda in shock. the room went silent  and i could not think of any question then. i just wanted to cry.  i just really feel helpless

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I have no advice :(
Sorry you and your little boy are going through this. Hugs!

gobimom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I'm a peds nurse and I think you need to tell him just keep it simple.  Tell him his pee pee has a problem and the doctor is going to fix it.  Tell him that it won't hurt while the doctor is doing it (I assume he will be sedated).  Tell him that it will probably hurt when he wakes up but that the doctor will give him special medicine to make it feel better.  Tell him the operation will keep him from getting sick or getting infections.  Answer his questions in an age appropriate manner.   If you feel really uncomfortable ask his doctor if he or one of his nurses could please explain it to your son in terms that he will understand.  Good luck!

Charweba
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

oh gosh I'm sorry to hear that your son is going through that.

Natesmom62906
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I'm sorry :( My cousin's 5 yr old has to have surgery because his testicals will not stay down. They keep going back up and the doctor said he has to have surgery, and if he doesn't then they could get stuck up there and he wouldn't be able to have kids later on. When you say pee to the side, do you mean?

eddysmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM

the whole was on the side of his pee pee on the tip like it should have been.

Quoting Natesmom62906:

I'm sorry :( My cousin's 5 yr old has to have surgery because his testicals will not stay down. They keep going back up and the doctor said he has to have surgery, and if he doesn't then they could get stuck up there and he wouldn't be able to have kids later on. When you say pee to the side, do you mean?

Just_Bethy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I wouldn't tell him til the day before..He will worry and a month to a three year old is forever......

Love and light to you both

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

Natesmom62906
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Oh so they repositioned it when he was little and now have to resize the hole? I'm sorry he is going through this. Maybe tell him he has to have the doctors fix his pee pee and then give him something to look forward to later like ice cream or something special.

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM

My 6 year old DS just had surgery on his penis to make the hole larger. It was just a small incision, and about 3 stitches (to keep the skin from growing back together). Is this the surgery that your DS is having?

If it is, it really wasn't that bad. The surgery was over very quickly, and he wasn't really in pain afterwards. He was up and playing that same afternoon (and I mean running and jumping..I had to keep telling him to settle down because he wasn't supposed to be so active..lol). They gave him pain meds, but he only took them for the first couple of days, and he only had some discomfort when he would go pee, other than that he was fine.

As for telling  your DS, I would just tell him that he has a problem with his pee pee, and the doctor is going to fix it so it makes it easier for him to go pee.

Good luck! I hope all goes well!! I know you are worried though... I was too. ((hugs))

mommy2cristian
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM

this

Quoting gobimom:

I'm a peds nurse and I think you need to tell him just keep it simple.  Tell him his pee pee has a problem and the doctor is going to fix it.  Tell him that it won't hurt while the doctor is doing it (I assume he will be sedated).  Tell him that it will probably hurt when he wakes up but that the doctor will give him special medicine to make it feel better.  Tell him the operation will keep him from getting sick or getting infections.  Answer his questions in an age appropriate manner.   If you feel really uncomfortable ask his doctor if he or one of his nurses could please explain it to your son in terms that he will understand.  Good luck!

neenerashley
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM

poor kid!

My brother had it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)