Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am SO scared- please help calm me down....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have been having gall bladder attacks for the past 12 years I just recently found out, I shrugged it off thinking it was just indigestion for this long....2 weeks ago, I ended up spending 5 days in the hospital, becasue over the years, the attacks have been doing a number on my liver apparently...my liver was very infected and enlarged.

they said they wanted to give my liver time to relax for a few weeks before taking out the gall bladder, they say thru ultrasound there is a MASS of stones in there.

I went to my doctor the other day for a 9 day check up on this, and I am still having a fever over 100 at night, and nauseaous, and  i am very sore, feels like a bruise under my ribcage, front and back. he says give it 48 more hours, and then call if it is still bad.

I have been a chicken, I should have called 2 days ago. my situation is worse, but I have been putting it off becasue they will want me in the hospital right away for antibiotics for a few days...then surgery.

I am scared, becasue it cannot be LAPROSCOPICALLY done. It has to be open surgery, a 1-2 hour procedure, and then I will be in the hospital from 4-7 days, and left with a giant 8-10 inch scar along the under side of my ribs. I am TERRIFIED. I do not like the idea of being put under for 2 hours. plus they said it has to be open, because there is a lot of damage to the liver, so they want to make sure eveything is ok, they want to be able to see whats going on, not with just a little camera, in case there is something else wrong.

anyone else have OPEN gall bladder surgery?

we are supposed to close on our house we bought in 4 weeks. they say my recovery will take 4-6 weeks. plus, i have a 15 month old and a 2 month old at home, luckily my hubby works out of the home, but STILL.....

SCARED to death!

come join a new group that is all about baby girls born in 2010! share photos, ask questions, meet moms who share this in common! http://www.cafemom.com/group/109294/ The Group name is Baby girls born in 2010.....see ya there!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ILive4This
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I never have...but try not to worry...and here's a bump for you :-)

mybabyapples
by Purple People Eater on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I haven't had my gall bladder out.But I know what it feels like to be so afraid of surgery. But the sooner you take care of it, the sooner you will recover.I spent a week away from my girls in the hospital 2 weeks ago.It is very hard and so is the recovery process.But I'm glad it is taken care of now so I can be the best mommy possible!Your in my prayers!

elly25
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM

My Nan did many years ago.She's almost in her 80's now.Doing just fine.

kylismomma
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I haven't but my father has and everything went as planned with his surgery. I was scared for him too, but it turned out ok. Try not to worry too much, it will all be ok! =)

PalmBayHeather
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Yes I did when I was 18 . . .it was not bad!!

You will be ok!!!

HUGS!!!

Mysty_1961
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Sure you are scared, you should be.  However, I think you should be more scared for not having this taken care of.  You can live without your gall bladder, you can not live without your liver.  A 1- 2 hour surgery is not all that long compared to many other which tak 4 - 6 - 12 hours or longer.  Sure it will take you time to recover, but everyday you will be getting better.  At first it will probably hurt a lot, but each day the hurt will go down, and after about a week there should not be too much pain.  If you want to be there for the closing on your new house now is the time to get this taken care of.  Get someone to help with your kids for about a month and you will be a much better mommy, wife, and person.  Good luck, go to the doctor tomorrow and get the process started before more damage is done.

mama2conor
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I'm so sorry hon. I've never had open surgery so I have no advice for you. It's scary either way.

How did you go 12 years with gallbladder attacks? Mine would drop me to my knees, they were so bad. I lasted 5 months. Everytime I went to the doctor, the attacks were finished, so they brushed it off, until one time they finally ordered a sonogram. I can't imagine lasting 12 years with that kind of pain.

Good luck to you. Try to stay calm and remember that you will feel better after this is over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)