Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are on welfare do you work a FT job, go to school, or neither?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: Welfare and You.... You have a .....

Options:

FT Job

PT Job

No Job Not in School

In School No Job

In School FT job

In School PT Job

In School get back enough in financial aid to pay bills

Collecting Unemployment 6 months or less

Collect Unemployment 6 months or more

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

After reading the other post I am curious. If you are on welfare and this DOESN"T include WIC, disability, or medical reasons, what do you do? And no I am not judging. i am curious. Also how long have you been on?

Please don't let this become a drama post.

I am a 28 year old liberally motivated, pro choice agreeing, anti-gun legislation supporting, separation of church and state believing, college educated, environmentally friendly, breast feeding, non-spanking, Diva knowing, non religion believing, recently smoke free cheering, tummy tucking, SAHM of 2 lovely girls with a 1 mighty good SO by my side.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:54 PM

bump!

SamiJ18
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I working part time for this pregnancy (I'm due in June and the semester ends in May...yeah....no I need to do one or the other).

Starting August I will be going to school more than full time and still working part time.

My husband works full time.

We have been on FS since June 2009 and have had to get LIHEAP this last summer.  In August we will have CCAP if Roxy and Benjamen cannot get into Headstart and Early Headstart, respectively.

im23vaughn
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Quoting SamiJ18:

I working part time for this pregnancy (I'm due in June and the semester ends in May...yeah....no I need to do one or the other).

Starting August I will be going to school more than full time and still working part time.

We have been on FS since June 2009 and have had to get LIHEAP this last summer.  In August we will have CCAP if Roxy and Benjamen cannot get into Headstart and Early Headstart, respectively.

So what do you want to go to school for?

BaBiiMaMa89
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM

i go to school, not eligible for FS since I am a full time student, laws are wierd here...

kk_bella
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I'm not on welfare currently, but I did apply for it. I needed more supporting documents that I could not get for them at the moment so I will wait until I get a job and then I will re apply if I still need it.

To answer your question, I will be working as many hours as I can get that also fit into my schedule. I can work from 6:30 am until 6:30 pm on Mondays and W-F. I can also work every other weekend. I'm having trouble finding a job that will give me those hours :( I did take a  part time job. The only reason it is not full time is because they wanted me to work 9A-9P M-F but I have a class on Tuesdays and I have no one to pick my children up from daycare. They are giving me 8-10 hours a week.

I am taking two classes this semester, which is six hours worth and I will continue to look for a better job.

I have always worked, before I had kids, I worked two or three jobs at a time while going to school full time.

im23vaughn
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM

kk bella have you ever thought of being an STNA? It's a 2 week training course. Sometimes welfare will pay for the classes, you can get a nursing home to pay for the classes, or worst case it's 389 for the course. Then you could find a 12hr a day 2-3 work schedule like you want. I am getting mines next quarter ( I am a pre nursing student)

SamiJ18
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Quoting im23vaughn:

Quoting SamiJ18:

So what do you want to go to school for?

I actually have an Associate's degree right now in general science.  I got it in December.  I will be working towards my Bachelor's in Cellular and Molecular Biology.  I only have about 2 years left on that and then I will be going to graduate school for my PhD in Microbiology.  Specifically Bacteriology and I may or may not do some Postdoc studies.  Once I hit grad school, we won't qualify for anymore assistance because I will receive a research stipend and that combined with my husband's income will make it to where we don't need it anymore.

I also receive grants (Pell, ACG, SLEAP) and scholarships (TOPs and a transfer student one) for school.

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM

My hubby did have a FT job and I had a FT job, DH lost his job and then 2 days later they told me I was getting my hours cut. So, we applied for FS (Thank God). I'm waiting to hear back from a 3wk STNA course which will be over before my 1yr and 1/2 LPN program starts, which I'm hoping to get into. My DH is looking for a job but no luck yet.

kk_bella
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Quoting im23vaughn:

kk bella have you ever thought of being an STNA? It's a 2 week training course. Sometimes welfare will pay for the classes, you can get a nursing home to pay for the classes, or worst case it's 389 for the course. Then you could find a 12hr a day 2-3 work schedule like you want. I am getting mines next quarter ( I am a pre nursing student)

Well, I am 9 classes away from a Bachelor's in English.

Starting in the fall, I will be able to sub MWF. I will make JUST enough to pay all of our bills, it will be really tight but I think it's worth it.

I can't decide if I want to continue to sub long enough to get my master's degree or if I should settle down for a few years and teach and then go back to school. I ultimately want to be a college professor.

im23vaughn
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

My hubby did have a FT job and I had a FT job, DH lost his job and then 2 days later they told me I was getting my hours cut. So, we applied for FS (Thank God). I'm waiting to hear back from a 3wk STNA course which will be over before my 1yr and 1/2 LPN program starts, which I'm hoping to get into. My DH is looking for a job but no luck yet.

Have you looked at your community colleges. I know I had to drive 45mins to my school because the ones in my city all have a 1 plus year waiting list. Oh and did you know that you can get an ASN ( Associate's of Science in Nursing) in 2 years?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)