Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child doesn't eat what you cook for dinner do they eat anything at all?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:02 PM
  • 73 Replies

My DS is so picky he doesn't want to eat anything! I read a lot of posts saying that if the child doesn't eat what you cook then they don't eat! So what if this were an everyday problem? What would you do? I am lost! IDK what to do anymore! I have to feed him something so I normally end up making him something other than what we eat!!

wedding planning guide

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autumearth
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:05 PM

when mine does that each time he says he is hungry i give him the same meal until it is time for the next meal.....most doctors will tell you it is a phase and they will eat when they are hungry....

reecenkaden
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Short of allergies, and texture sensitivities he will eat what's put in front of him.

I do not purposely make meals he doesn't like. Just because it's not what you want to eat RIGHT NOW doesn't mean you get something else.

If you eat part of something new, decide it's not to your liking. You can have a chefs salad. I know you like that and it's good for you.

But not to eat it just not to eat it, or not bothering to try it first. No, you will sit there until you take at least 4-5 bites (or one bite per year of life) if it's still not to your liking. HI SALAD!

HIDE YOUR DAUGHTERS!!!

I <3 my Stalker

Tanya_D
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:06 PM

This

Quoting autumearth:

when mine does that each time he says he is hungry i give him the same meal until it is time for the next meal.....most doctors will tell you it is a phase and they will eat when they are hungry....

If you want to know all about "me" then visit my page! That's what it is for! sticking out tongue

stacy_c05
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I know in the state of Ohio you have to offer then something else...It could be a peanut butter sandwhich and if they refuse that then they will eat when they are hungry!

allyson2212

Mine eat what I cook, and if not, then they go to bed hungry. But I cant say its an ongoing problem because they arent very picky and they like to eat.

AMarineLovesMe

SS was like that just because he didn't know what anything was, all BM fed him was mac n cheese and McD's.  So I tried the making him other stuff, but then it got to be too much trying to make 2 seperate meals every night and then listening to DS whine because he wanted something different too since SS got something else.  I finally said screw it, he would get hungry and eat it.  I would try to dress it up and make the meal fun and more appealing to him, but it was the same thing everyone else got.  If he didn't eat dinner then he didn't get dessert, the next day he would get breakfast and then lunch would be what he didn't eat for dinner.  It was a very trying and stressful process, but after about a  week he ate everything given to him, even spinach :)

babies

SamiJ18

Pretty much yes.  She has to wait until the next meal and if she doesn't want that then oh well..the food is there for her.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM

My now 19 year old son has always been an extremely picky eater.  I tried everything!!!  Let him help make dinner, let him help plan meals, give him his plate and if he didn't finish it NOTHING until breakfast( to this day he LOVES cereal).  I never gave in and made a separate meal for him still won't but I do try to make at least one thing he likes.  Now my other 2 sons have no food issues.  They eat a wide variety and love veges but not him.  I am not saying give up and IMO I wouldn't make separate meals but just wanted you to know sometimes no matter what you do some people are picky so if this thread goes anything like the last one you will hear everyone tell you its all the parents fault people are picky.  NOT TRUE   Good Luck

CafeMom Tickers

ILive4This
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM

If my ds doesn't eat his dinner, and is hungry later, I will gladly reheat his dinner.  I don't usually make things he doesn't like, and if I do, I make him something  he does like, at the time I'm cooking everything else. 

allmyblessings
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Quoting autumearth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)