Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a 7 yo left home alone....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM
  • 104 Replies

So I was walking with a few friends the other day and one of my friends says to me I think the lady down the street leaves her 7 yo home alone. She said that one day she was outside and she seen the mom pull up and the kid got out and went inside and then the mom drove off and left him. She said she is a single mom. The other day when we were walking she brought up the little boy because she said "I think he's home alone again" I said really how do you know and she said oh that is the neighbor across the street, I think the little boy gets out of school and stays home alone till the mom comes home from school and the neighbor across the street goes over every now and then to check on him. I asked her why she didnt call security forces on her if she thought the boy was alone and she said she didnt because she didnt know for a fact she just was pretty sure. I asked if she knew what the address was so that I could call but she said she didnt and the other people in the group walk with us either didnt here the convo or didnt seem concerned. I feel really aweful for this little boy. Do you think its okay for someone to leave their 7 yo home alone even if the neighbor is checking in on them periodically?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CODYSMOM_00
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM

no, that's way to young.

andreaRC
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I have a 7 y/o.....and hell no, I wouldnt do that.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM

A child at 7 years..........No WAY.

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM

What could I do? I mean I dont know them personally, and I dont really know for sure he was alone and when I pressed for info from my friend she seemed reluctant to tell. IDK I feel like I didnt do enough for the child though. I know it must be hard for a single mother, especially this active duty one but still.

abmm
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I think it is too young but as a single Mom myself sometimes you just got to do what you can. At least he has somebody checking on him.

unicornangel
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I think that's way too young. I have a 10 & 7 year old and there is no way I'd leave them home alone.

okiemomma1979
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Quoting Sassy762:

A child at 7 years..........No WAY.

Lullababy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Maybe, but why does everyone want to report so quickly?  Not you in particular, just on this forum people are so quick to call some "authority".

Kadillac
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Honestly, it depends on the child. Although I'm too paranoid of a parent to do so, if her son is anything like my 7 year old daughter, I would say it's perfectly acceptable (depending on the laws in your area). My 7 year old could probably go out, get a job, and support herself, she's so mature, responsible and level headed. If I absolutely HAD to leave her at home alone for a brief period of time, I would feel comfortable doing so, as long as she had a phone to contact me, along with emergency numbers handy. It just depends on the maturity of the child, not the age because in no way would I leave my 9 year old alone. 

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:51 PM

check your state laws. i know that some are very fucked up.. like mine- if i, as a parent, feels that my 4 year old is responsible and mature enough to be by himself, home alone for a few hours- i have the "right" to do that... as long as the parent feels that they (the child) is able to care for themselves, then its legal. it crosses into illegal boundaries when teh child is left alone for DAYS on end, or ends up in a situation thats bad (getting outta the house, being hurt/in danger, etc).... so if i wanted to, i could leave DS home alone from about 8am until maybe 3 pm or later. he knows how to make his own breakfast, he knows he's not allowed outside without me, he knows how to make his own lunch (sandwiches), he knows his tv channels and how to set up the video games. would i tho? hell no. but legally, i can. and he's FOUR!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)