Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, my sons daycare called me and said i had to  pick kain up and he couldnt come back until i had a doctors note saying he was okay to return, They were convinced it was chicken pox. There is a 5% chance of him gettin pox because he has had the shot.  I knew it wasn't When he woke up this morning he had a few red spots on his inner thighs i figured it was something that had irritated him  because he has super sensitive skin.  Well By the time i picked him up he had two spots on his face and a bunch on his hands and getting more on his legs. I took him to the Doc and the nurse prac  said shes pretty sure its hand foot and mouth.  She said to give him an oatmeal bath and let it ride out. The only symptom he has of hand foot and mouth is a rash, and they arnt blister like, like the handout said. Have any of your children had this? What did you do to clear it up?

Mommy to Kain  08/22/2007 and Fiance' to Richard

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM

bump

Eeyore3692001
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM

has he recently had strep, or sore throat, or any type of virus that could be linked to strep. If so it could be Scarlet Fever.

The rash shows up about seven to ten days after the fever breaks. If it was chicken pox, vaccine or not, when you put him in a warm bath, they would have "boiled" up with puss. If it is scarlet fever, not much you can do once the fever is gone they are no longer contagious. It usually clears up in three to seven days on its own, but if itchy, liquid benadryl will help.

Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM

no strep and no itchyness to his rash he has now. They hurt tho he gets mad when i try to put lotion on him.

Quoting Eeyore3692001:

has he recently had strep, or sore throat, or any type of virus that could be linked to strep. If so it could be Scarlet Fever.

The rash shows up about seven to ten days after the fever breaks. If it was chicken pox, vaccine or not, when you put him in a warm bath, they would have "boiled" up with puss. If it is scarlet fever, not much you can do once the fever is gone they are no longer contagious. It usually clears up in three to seven days on its own, but if itchy, liquid benadryl will help.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM

never had it bump!

Chandra034
by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I've had it, it sucks!  It also gets worse before it gets better.  There isn't really anything you can do for it though, you just have to let it run its course.  It lasted about a week when I had it.

MommyToEthan
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM

my son has had it.

the bumps look like antbites.   it's contagious during the first few days.   my son was given a steriod to help clear it up.    within about 5-6 days it was completely gone.

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

una1
by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM

hand foot and mouth rash isn't usually itchy, but they can be sore, so i would tend to agree with the nurse.

Both my kids had them

Quoting Ajanee12:

no strep and no itchyness to his rash he has now. They hurt tho he gets mad when i try to put lotion on him.

Quoting Eeyore3692001:

StructuredChaos
by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM
My son had it, but his presented in his mouth. Its also called coxsackie virus if you'd like to google it. There is really nothing you can do because its a viral infection. Lots of fluids and lots of love!
lisa601
by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM

It just runs its course.  If he gets sores in his mouth, use Mylanta.  If he can swish & spit that's great (not sure how old he is) if not put some on a Qtip and dab them.  The mouth sores hurt the worst for my boys.

Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Quoting lisa601:

It just runs its course.  If he gets sores in his mouth, use Mylanta.  If he can swish & spit that's great (not sure how old he is) if not put some on a Qtip and dab them.  The mouth sores hurt the worst for my boys.

None in his mouth yet, Hes 2. she said to do this too if they show up there.

Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)