Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

dinner - what to serve with empanadas?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I haven't had good empanadas in a long time, but I found my pregnant self craving them when I woke up today, so I am making beef empanadas from scratch - from this killer spanish recipe book I have. 

I don't know what to serve with them though...in the past when I ate them they were served tapas style (I have never made them, just had them at restaurants and friends houses), so we had them before a meal (just small ones) or served as a tiny course of a many-tiny-coursed meal.  So if I want that to be the center of my meal, what do I serve WITH the beef empanadas???

by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momsndaughters
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM

what are empanadas?

petersgal
by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

they are a meat (or veggie) filled pastry.. kind of.  empanada dough is slightly different than puff pastry, but still light and flaky.  Different people put different things in, but the Spanish recipe I have calls for lean beef, raisens, green olives, carmalized onions, hardboiled eggs, cumin, and 2 kinds of paprika.  You fry all this together, and then put it in the empanada dough and bake it.  They are SSOOO delicious!  I think originally Spanish and Portugese - they are eaten pretty widely in South America as well (I think...)

Here's a photo of one kind of empanada

Quoting momsndaughters:

what are empanadas?

ErikaM27
by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

refried beans ,mexican rice

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:58 PM

That sounds wonderful.  Since everything is inside,  I would just do a salad and/or veggie platter with it. Since you're making these(they are a lot of work) I'd go with the precut stuff.  LOL

You could always do Spanish Rice.

momsndaughters
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Mmmmmm! I'm coming to your house for dinner and i don't care if there is another side dish to go with it!!!!!

Quoting petersgal:

they are a meat (or veggie) filled pastry.. kind of.  empanada dough is slightly different than puff pastry, but still light and flaky.  Different people put different things in, but the Spanish recipe I have calls for lean beef, raisens, green olives, carmalized onions, hardboiled eggs, cumin, and 2 kinds of paprika.  You fry all this together, and then put it in the empanada dough and bake it.  They are SSOOO delicious!  I think originally Spanish and Portugese - they are eaten pretty widely in South America as well (I think...)

Here's a photo of one kind of empanada

Quoting momsndaughters:

what are empanadas?

petersgal
by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 4:07 PM

hmmm good call - maybe I'll go with some raw carrots and then a summer black bean salad on the side...

Quoting ninipanini:

That sounds wonderful.  Since everything is inside,  I would just do a salad and/or veggie platter with it. Since you're making these(they are a lot of work) I'd go with the precut stuff.  LOL

You could always do Spanish Rice.

R0X
by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I always make black bean soup and spanish rice when I make empanadas.

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

In addition to the goodies that all the ladies already mentioned...if it were me I would also look into something like mango or avocado slices.

I am mainly familiar with empanadas being married to a Mexican and also I know Argentine gauchos (cowboys) eat them with vino (wine.)

I also have lived in Bolivia where they make a thing similiar to a little potpie called a salteƱas.   Ay que rico!!!!  (Oh how rich!!!!)

You're making me hungry....just might whip up something like empanadas or soft tacos tonight!!!!! 

Tapeduper
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I made my first Empanads this evening.  They were deliscious!  Thanks for all the side dishes suddested.  I am dying to know what that fabulous Spanish Cook Book that was????

rayroe2
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I ain't pregnant and you have me craving them now! I need to go get some Mexican food!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN