Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

biting and your kids? update bottom of page 3.

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:14 AM
  • 35 Replies

So my son has recently started biting and i cant seem to get him to stop so my question of the night is what did you do to get your child to stop biting? my mom says hot sauce and my husband says bite him back but i cant seem to get myself to bite him back and havent tried the hot sauce yet. so what did you do?

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubbaboo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Luckily we never really had an issue. But my younger brother and sister were biting until they were 5-6 and they would bite the middle of your back and you would bleed and have the biggest bruise ever, nothing would stop them two.

With my kids, If ever I saw them opening their mouth and going for it, I would just say in a very stern voice "NO BITING" and that would scare them into stopping. but I have no other advice for you! good luck

bananahammock1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Biting back works!!! My 2 older kids werent really biters and my 9 month old is too young to tell yet but I had a friend who has a kid that would bite everyone! She told everyone to bite back and he stopped!

Id do it!! Thats one of my pet peeves!! I cant stand to be around a whiny kid or one that bites!! (nothing against your child)

Proud infantry Army wife and mommy to 3 Army brats!american flag ribbon

hautemama83
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Well I can tell you that ds had a horrible habit of biting. And I tried everything from yelling "OUCH!" to time outs, just everything. Until one day he just walked up to me and bit me, and I "popped" him in the mouth, lets just say he has never done it again.

Avarah
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I have a toddler who's thinking about becoming a biter. He doesn't do it all the time, but he mouths, kind of like a dog.  So I was watching, "It's Me or the Dog" one day and Victoria talked about how if the dogs hurt her, she yelps high and squeeky and lets them know they've hurt her.

I admit it. I tried it on my kid the next time he bit me.  I cried really high and squeeky and said, "ow! ow!" just like he does when he gets hurt to really get across the idea that it hurt.  Then I told him I wouldn't play with him because he hurt me.  And I walked off "crying."  He had to kiss me and say sorry before I'd play with him again.

So far, so good.  He did it to my husband tonight and he did a modified (more manly) version, and it seemed to work.

insunshine
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:25 AM

WHAT! You "POPPED" him in the mouth!!!!!!!! HENIOUS!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Thats what worked with mine. I had to pop twice with my mosterous daughter! She drew blood.

Quoting hautemama83:

Well I can tell you that ds had a horrible habit of biting. And I tried everything from yelling "OUCH!" to time outs, just everything. Until one day he just walked up to me and bit me, and I "popped" him in the mouth, lets just say he has never done it again.

McKs0820
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Well my 8 month old bites me while nursing and despite the fact she does understand what no means she finds it amusing so when she bites she gets put in her crib facing the wall for basically a 2 second time out (her crib is sidecarred to my bed) . I usually only have to do that twice and she stops because she understands if she bites mom takes me off the boob

Mami_JKC689
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM

How old is he? Can you explain to him that biting hurts and it's a no-no. my daughter went through the biting stage and I never used hot sauce or bit her back. Time out was enough.

McKs0820
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM

aww that's cute

Quoting Avarah:

I have a toddler who's thinking about becoming a biter. He doesn't do it all the time, but he mouths, kind of like a dog.  So I was watching, "It's Me or the Dog" one day and Victoria talked about how if the dogs hurt her, she yelps high and squeeky and lets them know they've hurt her.

I admit it. I tried it on my kid the next time he bit me.  I cried really high and squeeky and said, "ow! ow!" just like he does when he gets hurt to really get across the idea that it hurt.  Then I told him I wouldn't play with him because he hurt me.  And I walked off "crying."  He had to kiss me and say sorry before I'd play with him again.

So far, so good.  He did it to my husband tonight and he did a modified (more manly) version, and it seemed to work.

hautemama83
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I know I know shame on me, such a bad mommy!

But seriously when the kid thinks everything else you do is funny as hell, you kinda run out of options there lol.

Quoting insunshine:

WHAT! You "POPPED" him in the mouth!!!!!!!! HENIOUS!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Thats what worked with mine. I had to pop twice with my mosterous daughter! She drew blood.

Quoting hautemama83:

stephNcary
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM

He'll be 2 at the end of may and ive tried telling him to but he thinks its funny, and ive even tried time outs and he'll stop for a little while but usually does it a couple times a day.

Quoting Mami_JKC689:

How old is he? Can you explain to him that biting hurts and it's a no-no. my daughter went through the biting stage and I never used hot sauce or bit her back. Time out was enough.

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)