Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Mauled In 3rd Pitbull Attack In Toledo This Week

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=12332760

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - An 11-year-old girl is hospitalized after being mauled by two pit bulls Sunday while riding her bike in the 600 block of Dover in east Toledo.

Police say the dogs jumped a fence and attacked the girl, who was riding on the sidewalk. They say the dogs also bit a man who tried to beat them with a shovel and bit a responding police officer on the arm.

The girl got away from the dogs by jumping into the car of a good Samaritan, Andre Kynard, who drove her to safety. "She was kind of hysterical," he said. "She was bleeding pretty bad in a bunch of different places, big gashes on her."

Emergency crews say the girl will require surgery to repair her injuries.

The dogs returned home while police responded to the attack. The owner gave officers permission to take custody of the dogs, but one dog attacked an officer, biting him on the arm. An officer shot that dog. A local animal hospital then euthanized the injured pit bull. The other dog was taken into custody and remains quarantined at the Lucas County dog warden's office.

The warden cited the owner of the dogs for having them running at large, no licenses and no proof of a rabies vaccination.

This was the third pit bull attack in Toledo in less than a week. On Thursday, a student was bitten by a pit bull while heading to Start High School. On Friday, another person was attacked by a pit bull mix.

Wow. Something needs to be done to the owners of that dog. From what I understand about the other 2 attacks, it was just a random attack by stray dogs.  But in the attack on the little girl the dogs jumped the fence.  As a dog owner u need to be responsible for your animals, tie them up in the backyard or something if they are vicious or have ever attacked anyone as I am sure this was not a random attack by these dogs.  I hope the parents of this child sue this owner for their child's medical bills.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanielleK21
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Sounds like they have some underground fighting going on.

sati769leigh
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:08 AM

so sad. dogs and kids just dont mix. of any breed

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:11 AM

I'm glad that guy was there to help her get away. Who knows what would have happened if she wasn't there.

ryleesmommy2009
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:14 AM

surprise surprise it makes me sick but what can you do its not the breed there so perfect there not fucking insane yeah okay wake the fuck up people these dogs DO DESERVE to DIE!! The WHOLE fucking breed and yes thats alot of cursing but i'm sick of the shit!!

-xoxo-
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:16 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a stupid fad. I wonder how cool and tough these owners feel when their dog(s) maul their children and/or innocent people? I don't feel that the entire breed needs to be exterminated or anything severe like that, but the fact that everyone and their mom is running out to buy a pit because they're the new "in"  breed irks me.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:19 AM

I think it's more of the owners then the breed. A poodle who was taught to fight or has been trained to attack will attack at random just as much as a pit bull would.  My neice has a pitbull who would probably lick u to death before it bit u, and that's because she takes good care of her and doesn't train her to fight or attack.

On the other hand my sister's friend had 3 poodles that would randomly attack anyone they seen going past thier house, they'd get out of the backyard and bite people at random. I know a poodle can't do as much harm as a pitbull in most cases but I am just saying it's more the owners then the breed.

Quoting ryleesmommy2009:

surprise surprise it makes me sick but what can you do its not the breed there so perfect there not fucking insane yeah okay wake the fuck up people these dogs DO DESERVE to DIE!! The WHOLE fucking breed and yes thats alot of cursing but i'm sick of the shit!!

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:49 AM

I agree to a lesser degree. I think it should be against the law to have a non spayed or neutered pit or to breed them. Just let the breed die out. This is just ridiculous. Some of it might be due to bad owners but a good bit of it is because it is a temperamental, nasty breed.

Quoting ryleesmommy2009:

missingbelle
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Your not allowing yourself to see the pig picture . These dogs are fantastic animals  and yes in the wrong hand can be very dangerous , I think they should be regulated and you should have to have a license to own them but it is not the dogs fault it is the owner. The best dog I have ever owned was a pit/rott. mix she was beautiful and very very well behaved and excellent with children ! I had to give her to a rescue 3 yrs ago she was 5 yrs old , to this day I don't know if she is alive or dead and it kills me she was very much my little puppy soul mate. These dogs have a very Strong prey drive and need to be cared for in the right hands.

Quoting ryleesmommy2009:

robsgurl_23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:55 AM

I am not going to say the pit bull breed should all be gotten rid of just any dog that will attack should be gotten rid of and the onwer fined for not keeping the dog tied up . If your dogs are able to jump the fence to attack people then the owner isnt doing everything they need to do to keep the dog or dogs in teh yard..either put in a higher fence or tie up the dog, or use the invisible fence thing. My aunt has a nieghbor who has 3 big dogs and in the winter time the snow gets piled up in their little pin area and the dogs can stick their heads over the top of the fence and my aunt is afraid those dogs will jump out one day and attack her kids. I dont like any dog that will attack..maybe that is why I tend to stick to small dogs..if a small dog tried to attack you they are small enought to push away with your foot.

Richys_Girl
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Quoting ryleesmommy2009:

eye rolling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)