Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't care if you forward face....

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM
  • 83 Replies

and I don't care if you rear face.

When I was little I just got thrown into the backseat. Like all the other millions of children that did. I even remember sitting on my grandparents lap in the backseat because the car was full. Of course, back then it didn't matter.

You should have seen my parents when I had babies trying to figure out how a car seat even worked. IF you were to ask them what the weight, age and height is of a baby that can finally forward face they would probably say, "Huh? Forward face?"

ACTUALLY, I never even heard much about this until I got on Cafemom.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:26 AM

That's like saying they found a way to prevent cancer, one is more effective then the other and choosing the least effective even though your insurance covers the more effective one more.

Choosing not to RF is not the problem I have. It's not whether or not you're a good mom. It's about doing the research. ALL the research shows how much safer a child will be if involved in an accident. Rear end collisions only account for 4% of all accidents, and even then you have to be travelling in reverse and hitting something travelling towards you at at least 30 mph to even TOUCH the damage that occurs 96% of the time.

All in all, it's completely non-debatable as to which way is safer. The thing that bothers me is that there are people who just don't care. Accidents can happen to anyone. It doesn't matter who is driving, there are others on the road as well. Your child's safety should be top priority.

sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I didnt either! I have never seen a child rear face before the age of 1! lol

3earthangels
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I remember my mom having some type of sedan that had seats that faced out the back. We fought over who would sit there! I also remember sitting in the front seat with my sister witout a seat belt. Oh and dont forget the bed of the truck, yeah. SD would fly down the road at 50-60 mph because we love being blown around. Aahh the old days.....

La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Okay then!

Back then it did matter though.  Do you realize that there were more deaths related to car accidents back when we were kids then now? 

My uncle was thrown from the car as well and died!

I think car seat safety is a wonderful thing and thankful for the advancement and knowledge that has come about in these years.

I saw a picture my mom had my sister and I in a car seat and it was weird looking at it and comparing it to now, lol!

Photobucket

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:41 AM

And that is why car accidents are the number one killer of children.

Knowledge of how to properly use a car seat saves lives.

solmom4
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I'm sure this must be joke. I mean I didn't sit in a car seat either when I was a baby.  That was before they realize how danger it was.  I'm sure we were lucky thank god my parents were never in a car accident but I'm sure countless other baby of my time die because they were not in a car seat.  It is not that hard to read the Car Seat Manual to found the height and weight restrictions

MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM

AND????  I dont care either AS LONG AS YOU AT LEAST GIVE YOUR CHILD THE MINIMUM 1 AND 20.

Laws of physics prove ERF is the safest, but not everyone is gonna do it.

I didnt ride in a car seat,but do you really think Im just gonna toss my babies in and go..

adry20
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM

good for you, i just hope you do care about YOUR kids safety.

carinyosa99
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I used to sit on family members' laps too....but that was also in the 70s when car seats were really not much more than our bouncy seats we have today.

that_1_mommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I agree. I really could give a crap less if you FF or ERF. I'd never even HEARD of ERF until a couple of years ago, when I got my ass handed to me over pics of my twins in their seats (before they switched to boosters). My first impression of the car seat ladies was NOT a good one. Personally, I don't practice ERF.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)