Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lactose intolerance after the stomach flu?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM
  • 6 Replies

Has anyone every experienced this, or had their toddler experience it?  I was reading online about different strains of the flu b/c my whole family has been very sick for the last week, and I found this article that said it is relatively common to experience temporary or even permanent lactose intolerance after a bad bout of the flu. 

I'm wondering now if this as happened to my DD b/c she has pretty much been better for 5 days now, but every time someone pours her a tiny bit of milk, or she has butter on her toast , she either throws up again, or gets super gassy and her stomach starts rumbling really bad.  All symptoms of lactose intolerance...

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
petersgal
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM

BUMP!

aridattebayo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Yes! My now three year old went through this when she was about 15 months old. Back to back stomach bugs, and then couldn't drink reg. milk... I went for a month going from acidophilus milk to reg, and as soon as she'd get the reg milk, boom... nasty nasty diapers (runny poos mostly). I threw in the towel when she then aquired one HORRRRID diaper rash. My mom had been telling me it was lactose intolerance (I had a hunch because I'm lactose intolerant too) but I wasn't sure until the last time I tried, and she got the rash. As soon as she got the lactose free milk... the runny poops were gone and so was the rash! So she's been on lactose free milk since then (I am not sure if you get WIC, but I had no problems from WIC either, you just tell them your kid is lactose intolerant, and that's that. You do need a note from your kid's doc for preschool or daycare, but other than that... no biggie.) The ladies at WIC said sometimes babies grow out of it, or it gets a little better, so I am not sure.

She's three now.... and we've been slowly reintroducing dairy. She can have VERY SMALL bits of cheese, but she still can't do regular milk. She's never had issues with yogurt though - most lacto-intolerants can eat yogurt fantastic. (I also use lactaid milk when I make things like scalloped potatoes and despite the heavy cream, she tolerated it just fine. There's also certain regular cheeses that you can eat too, but it's really complicated and takes ALOT of label reading - my boyfriend found this out from his cheese expert friend.)

BTW - if your toddler likes ice cream.... I know that Lactaid makes ice cream that's relatively safe for lactose intolerants (kind of pricy, but definately worth it, and it tastes fabulous!) Breyers used to make a mostly lactose free vanilla bean that was really good - they might still do, been awhile since I've traversed the ice cream aisle, and there's always Kemps frozen yogurt. Not sure how you feel about soy, but there is soy "cheese" (it's called veggie shreds and veggie slices)that is pretty edible, and there's also almond milk too, if you are looking for dairy alternatives.

Hope this helps! :) I would definately spend a few extra bucks and pick up some Lactaid /lactose free milk (store brand is fine too) and see if that helps! It tastes a little bit richer than regular milk, but your toddler should have no issues with the taste!

one very metal mommy to a mini-metalhead - Arianna (1/15/07) \m/ & Pumpkin #2 due 10/28/10

My Blog

ta2dirishlass
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM

It's pretty typical to have to wait about a week before introducing dairy again. That was problematic for my DD as she loves her milk but I found substituting vanilla soy milk worked well. Good luck!!!

petersgal
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Thanks for the great information!  My sister is actually allergic to dairy - so I'm pretty familiar with dairy free diets.

I'm going to buy her butter substitute for her toast, and some almond milk today.  I will also order her some Sheese - which my sister says is the best cheese substitute (it's pricey, but she loves it). 

DD is still doing fine with yogurt, so I won't worry about ice cream since DH and I mostly eat frozen yogurt anyway :).. she'll just eat that too.  She eats yogurt frequently for breakfast. 

I really appreciate all the information!  I had never heard of this happening before so I was kind of suprised when i read it, and it sounds so much like my DD

Quoting aridattebayo:

Yes! My now three year old went through this when she was about 15 months old. Back to back stomach bugs, and then couldn't drink reg. milk... I went for a month going from acidophilus milk to reg, and as soon as she'd get the reg milk, boom... nasty nasty diapers (runny poos mostly). I threw in the towel when she then aquired one HORRRRID diaper rash. My mom had been telling me it was lactose intolerance (I had a hunch because I'm lactose intolerant too) but I wasn't sure until the last time I tried, and she got the rash. As soon as she got the lactose free milk... the runny poops were gone and so was the rash! So she's been on lactose free milk since then (I am not sure if you get WIC, but I had no problems from WIC either, you just tell them your kid is lactose intolerant, and that's that. You do need a note from your kid's doc for preschool or daycare, but other than that... no biggie.) The ladies at WIC said sometimes babies grow out of it, or it gets a little better, so I am not sure.

She's three now.... and we've been slowly reintroducing dairy. She can have VERY SMALL bits of cheese, but she still can't do regular milk. She's never had issues with yogurt though - most lacto-intolerants can eat yogurt fantastic. (I also use lactaid milk when I make things like scalloped potatoes and despite the heavy cream, she tolerated it just fine. There's also certain regular cheeses that you can eat too, but it's really complicated and takes ALOT of label reading - my boyfriend found this out from his cheese expert friend.)

BTW - if your toddler likes ice cream.... I know that Lactaid makes ice cream that's relatively safe for lactose intolerants (kind of pricy, but definately worth it, and it tastes fabulous!) Breyers used to make a mostly lactose free vanilla bean that was really good - they might still do, been awhile since I've traversed the ice cream aisle, and there's always Kemps frozen yogurt. Not sure how you feel about soy, but there is soy "cheese" (it's called veggie shreds and veggie slices)that is pretty edible, and there's also almond milk too, if you are looking for dairy alternatives.

Hope this helps! :) I would definately spend a few extra bucks and pick up some Lactaid /lactose free milk (store brand is fine too) and see if that helps! It tastes a little bit richer than regular milk, but your toddler should have no issues with the taste!

aridattebayo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM

You're welcome. I've never heard of Sheese before, do they have a website?

I was totally surprised too, my daughter had had no issues prior to that , it came out of nowhere.

Quoting petersgal:

Thanks for the great information!  My sister is actually allergic to dairy - so I'm pretty familiar with dairy free diets.

I'm going to buy her butter substitute for her toast, and some almond milk today.  I will also order her some Sheese - which my sister says is the best cheese substitute (it's pricey, but she loves it). 

DD is still doing fine with yogurt, so I won't worry about ice cream since DH and I mostly eat frozen yogurt anyway :).. she'll just eat that too.  She eats yogurt frequently for breakfast. 

I really appreciate all the information!  I had never heard of this happening before so I was kind of suprised when i read it, and it sounds so much like my DD

one very metal mommy to a mini-metalhead - Arianna (1/15/07) \m/ & Pumpkin #2 due 10/28/10

My Blog

tscritch
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I think this is what I'm going through with my 13 month old. We had the flu over Easter and now she has horrible horrible runny poopy diapers and is getting an awful diaper rash. I switched her to soy milk hoping that helps. We have a dr's appt tomorrow to try and figure it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)