Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am such a good driver, I'll never get into a car accident

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM
  • 91 Replies

I hear it all the time. Something happens to someone that was completely unexpected, something you thought would never happen to you.

No matter who you are, unexpected things, good and bad can happen.

*Car accidents are the number one killer in children in the USA.

*Every 12 minutes someone in the U.S. dies in a car accident and every 14 seconds someone is injured in a car accident.

*More then 3 million people get injured each year, more then 2 million of those injuries are permanent.

*40% of car accidents occur due to a drunk driver.

*More then 25% off all U.S citizens have been in an accident in the last 5 years.

Car accidents can happen to anyone. I see it all the time in the ERF and FF posts. "Well I have been driving for X years and I haven't even been pulled over." When will you understand that you don't have to be the bad driver in an accident? My mom got in a 5 car pile up when I was in 4th grade, before then she never got pulled over, never had a fender bender, nothing. It's been a while since then and she again, has not had any of the above.

I encourage you to do your research and learn about ERF AND about wearing your own seatbelt in the car. The driver is the most commonly injured and not caring about yourself is just as bad because you'll be dead and your kids will have to suffer. Same goes with ERF, they can't choose the safer option, you must make those choices for them.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chrystal_A
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM

thanks for sharing

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM

BUMP!

insunshine
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Here is the truth. If a car accident is bad enough, no car seat will save your child. It is not in our hands. Buckle your kids up, put them in the right seat for their age/size. Kiss them everythime you drive. You may be the perfect driver but someone else is not. Children die in accidents, its horrific, but if it is that bad the car seat can stop it. If you drive a thin piece of metal that crushes like a soda can that fancy 200 dollar car seat wont make a difference.

BUT of course car seats save lives because kids would just fly out, but this whole rear facing front facing argument is a bit ridiculous.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Yes, but most car accidents aren't those that would be completely fatal and the way your child faces plays a HUGE role in the amount/type of injuries your child will face. A rear facing child is 5X safer then a FF child.

It's true that it's your choice when they hit 1 and 20 but I think the reason most ERF moms are so passionate about it is because we know the info. and the stats and although they are not our children, we care about them. So many are uneducated about car seats, you get in the car and expect to arrive at your desination unscathed and that is not always the case.

It's like saying a yard for the kids is better then no yard but a fence is not important because they will definitely never run in the road and the truth is, it's very possible so if you have the means to put up a fence, you should.

Quoting insunshine:

Here is the truth. If a car accident is bad enough, no car seat will save your child. It is not in our hands. Buckle your kids up, put them in the right seat for their age/size. Kiss them everythime you drive. You may be the perfect driver but someone else is not. Children die in accidents, its horrific, but if it is that bad the car seat can stop it. If you drive a thin piece of metal that crushes like a soda can that fancy 200 dollar car seat wont make a difference.

BUT of course car seats save lives because kids would just fly out, but this whole rear facing front facing argument is a bit ridiculous.

mlmartinez
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM

BUMP!

MamaPeanut
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM

That is really, really not true.  Using a proper seat, installing properly, having the child in it properly, and ERF and EH significantly increase the chances of survival for children in crashes. 

The RF/FF argument is not ridiculous.  They are tested, researched, proven facts.  Just because you choose not to be educated or disagree with it does not make it untrue or ridiculous. 

Quoting insunshine:

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM

BUMP!

McKs0820
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Sounds like your a bit misinformed, it does matter whether your ff or rf. It can make a difference. There is nothing ridiculous about the argument except for the fact that people choose to ignore FACTS to allow themselves to feel as if they are doing the right thing.

Quoting insunshine:

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM

BUMP!

Aislinn
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM

It is not my driving that concerns me. It is the other a hole on the other side of the road that scares the hell out of me! People who have no experience with accidents do not understand the split seconds that accidents take place. One second, you are happily driving, the next, you are pinned between your seat and your steering wheel. It happens just that quick... I am sure a few people I have helped extricate from vehicles have uttered the same words...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)